Chapter 44

(Hans)

Kristof and I barracaded the door. After forcing our way below deck, we had just minutes to find Anna before they would break down the door with a battering ram. I reached for the nearest chair and shoved it under the door knob. Barraging it shut.

"Hans!" A sweet, familer voice exclaimed  from behind me. The only voice I've been wanting to hear for days.
Relief washed over me at the knowledge that she was still alive. I swivel around to see her. Her usually braided hair hung loose around her shoulders. I barely recognized the beautiful and regal queen in that crimson dress she wore. It didnt suit her at all. Frankly, I've seen better dressed harlots. Still, to my eyes she remained the fairest of them all.

But I wasn't thinking about what she was wearing. All I could think about was how she was still alive, and how happy that made me. Without warning she makes a mad dash for me and within two strides she was in my arms, embracing me. "Your alive!" She pulls back and places a warm, soft hand to the side of my face.

"Heave!" I hear a barbarian cry just before the door is hit with a battering ram. The crashing sound it makes resonates through the entire room. Luckily the door is strong and sturdy and will not break so easy. " Break it down!" I hear another cry. We have just moments to spare.

I smile down at her, engulfed in a wave of joy. Feeling Kristof's eyes burning into me. I had his woman in my arms. It was understandable. But right now, in this moment I didn't care about what was proper. I didn't care that any moment the door breakdown. All I cared about was her. "You came back for me." She smiles up at me with those hypnotizing eyes.
I place my hand lightly over hers. "I made a promise to a lady." I recite.

The man to my right awkwardly clears his throat. I drop my hand reluctantly to my side as the ice courier pulls of his helmet.
Anna's eyes go so big I swear they nearly pop out of her head. "Kristof?!?" She cries, eyes welling with tears.

"Hello Anna." Is all he need say before she tears herself away from me and rushes to him. He pulls her tightly to his chest. "Kristof I can't believe it's really you!" She sobs into his shoulder. "I thought you were dead. I morned you for months!" She speaks as tears fall like rain. Happy tears.

"Shhh don't cry my sweet. I'm back now." He soothes, stroking her red hair. I don't want to watch but I can't bear to look away. "B-but how?" She raises her gaze to look at his face. "The men... they saw you fall to your death." She grabs his chin and moves his head side to side. To be sure it was really him.

"I did fall, and it broke nearly every part of me." He began. "I hit that icy water and everything went dark. But I was saved by an angel, healed too." Explains Kristof. "A beautiful angel who nursed me back to health, made me whole again. Giving me another chance, to come back here, back to you."

I look away as he kisses her. I can't watch. I can't take the way she is smiling up at him, it's the way she used to smile up at me. You deserve this. I tell myself. This pain your feeling. You earned every bit of it. She loved you first but you messed it up.

A child sized pair of honey colored eyes peeking out from behind the bed temporarily distracts me from my self loathing. Soon I see 5 more pairs of eyes starring at me from the other side of the room.

"As much as I hate to break up this tender and touching reunion..." I call over to kissing couple. "We are not alone." I point towards the direction of the bed. "Who are they?"

"Those would be my sister wives." She answered, motioning them to come closer. An array of exotic beauties step out of the shadow's. Most of which, with child or with a child in arms. "Your... your married?" My battle companions jaw drops. "Unfortunately..." She holds up her hand to show a crude rung with some form of hammer carved onto it.