60 | He's Always Known

Archer told Chase he needed to go outside for some air. The latter didn't follow, as though knowing that what Archer really meant was that he wanted to be alone for a bit before the service started.

Archer now stood on the church steps, leaning against one of the towering marble pillars that flanked the huge oak doors. 

As dusk began to fall, the sun disappeared into the horizon, painting the sky in all sorts of shades of orange and pink. He thought it was beautiful, and he wished that his best friend could be here to share the moment with him.

He knew about Trevor's feelings for Morgan—he's always known.

Sure, the two have had misunderstandings—it was inevitable as they loved the same girl—but Archer knew that no matter what, Trevor would always have his back. 

These thoughts troubled Archer because on some level, he knew that deep down, there was a part of him that was pissed at Trevor for falling for the girl he once had but lost. There was just so much history there, and he had always assumed that it was a sort of unspoken agreement that she was off limits to his closest friends.

In fact, he had always assumed that Morgan would never love again. He had somehow gotten it through his narcissistic skull that Morgan would always just love him.

Under the dusk sky, he fiddled with the flask in his hand before taking a sip from the container and feeling the bitter liquid slide down his throat. He swallowed hard, feeling tears pool in his gray eyes.

The longer he stayed out, the more cars pulled up at the empty lot next to the church, no doubt here for the service which'll start at six. Tears blurring his vision, he turned his head away from all the strangers entering the church.

He still remembered the day Trevor had met up with him, saying he had something important to tell him. 

It was on New Year's Eve, and the sun was setting quick. They were at their usual spot at The Brew, the two sitting across from each other, then, apropos of nothing, Trevor had dropped the bomb—

"I'm in love with Morgan."

Archer felt like he could skin the boy alive then and there. He clenched his fists in anger, ready to unleash any pent-up anger at him, but then, Trevor reached over the table, and in his hand was his half of the keychain he and Morgan possessed. He had given it to Trevor for safe keeping, thinking that it would help him let the girl go—but obviously, it hadn't worked.

The moment he spotted the shiny trinket, his heart softened, and he unclenched his fists. 

Trevor was giving it back, as if to say that he's way out of his league and that he'd back off. 

Archer suddenly felt awful because he knew that Trevor had never been in love before—Morgan was his first and last love. Pushing aside any feelings of resentment, he smiled through the tears welling up in his eyes and shook his head. "Keep it," he had said to the lost boy in love.

"Hey."

The familiar voice of his other best friend snapped him back to reality, pulling him away from the labyrinth of his thoughts. He quickly wiped his tears away and turned to look at Chase.

"You coming in?" he asked Archer, who noted the former's tear-stained cheeks that matched his own.

"Yeah," replied Archer, and they both made their way back inside to the benches, taking a seat next to a grieving Addie.

"The service'll be starting soon. Where is she?"

Addie turned to the right to look at Chase who was seated next to her on the wooden bench in the chapel. "I have no idea," she whispered. "Do we look for her or leave her alone to heal or—?"