23 | Long Shot

Hanna

It was lunch time, and Archer and I were in the cafeteria, sitting at our usual table. I had told Trevor and Chase to sit elsewhere so that me and Archer could have some much-needed alone time; however, it wasn't working as well as I had hoped.

"Archie, I'm going home," I informed him, pursing my lips to see if he was listening to me. When I noticed his far-off gaze—which was quickly becoming an accessory he never left home without—I sighed. "Archer!"

"W-what?" he said finally.

While I did have my theories as to why Archer's been distant lately, I still didn't know what was with him. He seems rather... withdrawn lately, and it was not amusing.

"I'm going home. I don't feel too hot today," I said again.

"Ah. Alright, then." He numbly placed a dry kiss on my forehead before he got up with his lunch tray, the food on it almost untouched. 

I let out a scoff as I rolled my eyes. "Be that way, then."

What he didn't know was that I didn't leave immediately. Instead, I skulked around: All my experience in stalking Archer was put once more to use. Knowing his schedule by heart, I had followed him to the outside of his remaining classes, careful in ensuring there was already some distance between us so that he wouldn't spot me.

It was when the final bell rang that I had thrown in the towel, deciding that my endeavors to finding the root of the problem was fruitless. 

Until I saw him emerge from his last classroom, that is, and he appeared to be looking for someone; he was on his tiptoes, craning his neck to see beyond the hoards of students pouring out of various classrooms.

I raised an eyebrow, having a bad feeling about this. I stood in a crevice created by two lockers and waited. It happened in a second: Morgan was walking with the flow of students when she was lodged forwards, right into Archer's chest—and they stayed like that for a while, saying words I couldn't hear too well. All I could make out were snatches of conversation, words like "trouble" and "be careful." It was so weird to hear them coming from Archer's mouth. 

I glanced at the time on my phone and quickly decided that there was still time. It's going to be tight, but if my inkling proved to be right, then it'll all be worth it.

I hopped out of my crevice and dashed down the crowed hallway, shoving people out of my way, because there really wasn't much time. I weaved out of the main doors and ran down the street. I need to beat her there.

As I scanned the houses in the cul-de-sac, I searched my memory to try and remember which house she lives in... but then I spotted a cream-colored little townhouse, and I knew.

Walking up the front steps leading to the door, I hoped with all my might that her parents didn't know about our falling-out and rang the doorbell.

It chimed throughout the house, and not a second later, her mom got the door.

"Oh, Hanna, hi!" she beamed with her usual cheery smile. Okay, so she doesn't know, otherwise she probably would've slammed the door in my face. "You're here early."

"Oh, yeah, I ran straight from school," I panted, clutching a stich in my side. "Um, I left my jacket in Morgan's room the last time I came over... Could I go get it?"