09 | I Like You

Morgan

I woke up to a text notification from Trevor this morning. He had sent me a good morning text.

"M! Are you listening?" snapped Addie as she peered over my shoulder.

Immediately shutting off my phone and placing it face down on the counter that separated us, I spun around to face her. "Y-yes?" I stuttered nervously, failing miserably at trying to hide the text I've been staring at.

"I've been telling you my life story over here, and you're there, dozing off!" she scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest, feigning offense. "Um, rude much?"

"Sorry," I mumbled insincerely.

She let out a sigh, probably used to me halfheartedly listening to her stories. "What are you even doing on that phone of yours, anyways?" she asked as she, without warning, snatched my phone from the kitchen counter.

"No, don't!" I screeched, but it was too late.

"What the fuck is this, M?" she interrogated, showing me my text conversation with Trevor, as if I didn't already know about it. "Are you guys a thing now? What about my brother?"

As promised, I've been tutoring Trevor this past week—we'd either do it in the classroom after hours or head over to The Brew—and to tell you the truth, Trevor and I have gotten close because of these tutoring sessions, transitioning from acquaintances to friends—dare I say, close friends, even. Nothing's going on behind closed doors, though—we're nothing more than just study buddies—but I wasn't about to tell Addie that. Hear me out, but I kind of want her and other people, for that matter, to assume what they want about us two. It's weird, I know, but it makes me seem like I have a life. You know what I mean?

Besides, would it really be that far-fetched to think that me and Trevor are an item?

Yes. Yes, it would.

Taking my phone away from Addie's hands, I scowled, "What do you want me to do? It's not like me and Archer are dating or something."

"Not dating, just... unrequited love, is all," shrugged Addie.

"Yeah 'cause reminding me it's one-sided doesn't hurt," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm, as I rolled my eyes. "You know what, I gotta go."

"Where are you going?" questioned Addie as she got up from her stool. "I thought we were going to do homework."

"I don't like hanging at your place," I replied bluntly, feeling the tips of my ears redden at the lie. Honestly, I just had to get out of there; the last thing I wanted was to be interrogated and guilt-tripped by my best friend. As I packed up my things scattered on the counter, I said lowly, "See you at school tomorrow."

Angrily walking away from Addie's house, I dialed a number on my phone and waited for the other side to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Can you meet me now?"

"Sure. The Brew in five?"

"Yes, please."

|

"Hey, Morgan," said Trevor the moment he entered The Brew and spotted me. "Don't tell me this is another study session." He laughed, shaking his head at his little joke, but as he noticed I wasn't really in the mood for playful banter right now, he furrowed his eyebrows. "Um, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," I assured as I waved him off. "I just... wanted to see you, I guess."

He flashed me that charming smile of his, and it was one that was filled with so much concern and care that I found the corners of my lips tilting up into a genuine smile themselves.

You know what? I take back my earlier declaration—maybe I am okay with being another one of his numbers.

That's when my disagreement with Addie popped into my mind again, and I did the stupidest thing ever. Standing on the edge of the metaphorical slippery slope, I finally lost my footing and slipped—and as I had predicted, it wouldn't be long before I fell to my ultimate demise that was Trevor Parks.

Reaching across the table, I took his bigger hands into mine and gazed into the mesmerizing green pools in his eyes. 

"I like you, Trevor Parks."