40 | She Feels for You

Addison

I pulled my hood over my head as I rushed to get home and away from the bothersome winter.

"The only good thing about snow," I mumbled to myself, "is that it increases the chances of a class suspension."

House in sight, I braced for snowfall, the little delicate snowflakes beginning to land on my jacket. Every step I took, the snow beneath my feet sank down just a bit and crunched with every move.

Teeth now chattering, I felt as if my hands were about to be frozen, so I crossed my arms over my chest for warmth, took a deep breath, and made a beeline for the house. There, I let out a sigh of relief and immediately went to check on the heater.

After turning the heat up, I sat in front of the device built to radiate warmth, and that was about when Archer made his way down the staircase, clearly having just woken up.

"Hey," he greeted sleepily.

"Hey," I smiled back lazily. "Just woke up?"

"What do you think?" he mumbled as he glanced at his reflection in the mirror hung on the wall adjacent to the staircase. He moved around a few strands of his bedhead hair then sighed.

"Hey, Arch?" I ventured, getting up from the floor and taking off my layers. Now in a simple plain sweater, I bundled myself up in a blanket on the couch.

"Yeah?" he replied, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning against the banister.

I gulped, nervously fiddling with my sleeves. "I... I need you to talk to Morgan."

The color drained from Archer's face. He blinked, his face morphing into an expression that told me he couldn't quite comprehend what I was saying. 

"W-what?" he stammered.

"Look, I know we both agreed that it's best you stay away from her, but," I sighed, "it's urgent."

Archer shook his head. "It's that teacher, isn't it?"

"I think she's in too deep."

"Look, Adds, if Mr. Donavan's who she wants to see, then we can't do anything about it," he huffed, blowing a stray strand of hazel hair away from his eyes. "It's her decision, her life. We gotta respect that."

In response, I rolled my eyes. "Blah blah blah, tell me something I don't know," I retorted, "but we both know this isn't smart. I just don't want to see her hurt again."

Archer strode across the room and sat down on the coffee table. Face-to-face now, he narrowed his eyes. 

"I already tried, remember?" he said, a look of resentment on his face. "And remember what happened? Nothing. Nothing changed, Adds," he added, as though to emphasize his point. "What makes you think this time will be any different?"

"Oh, please," I scoffed. "Have we forgotten the major crush she has on you?"

"That's ancient history," he said sharply. "Not since Donavan entered the picture, anyway."

"But that doesn't change the fact that she feels for you," I reasoned. "Feelings don't just go away that easily." I leaned forward and looked him straight in the eye before adding, "You of all people should know that."

He looked away from my intent gaze, a subtle shade of red spreading across his cheeks. He let out a deep breath. "Okay," he mumbled sullenly. "I'll talk to her."

"How, though?"

Archer glanced at me and hummed in response.

"School's technically out for the year," I said. "The weather's crazy right now, remember?"

"I'll go to her place then," he answered briefly.

"Really? You'd really do that?" I questioned incredulously, my eyebrows raised high above my forehead. "I thought you were adamant on steering clear of her or whatever."

"Well, you said it was urgent," he replied coolly. He got up, and without another word, he climbed the stairs to his room.

I sighed to myself. Not again...

Quietly, I followed him up. The door to his room was left ajar—I peaked in without him noticing.

In the darkness of his bedroom, Archer was sat on his bed. I could barely make anything out, but I didn't need to see it to know. Through the dark, I knew exactly what he was doing.

His cloudy gray eyes—the very pair of eyes that mirror my own except somehow, his seem murkystared, transfixed, at the little object in the palm of his hand, seeming as though that was the light that could very possibly pierce through the darkness.

And in his hand was that silver half-heart keychain he's been carrying around ever since it happened.