05 | For Safe Keeping

Morgan

"I still can't believe it!"

Addie, Hanna, and I are currently hanging out at my house, which frankly, was the norm for us. I was still riding the high of being noticed by sen— I mean, Archer, so I was squealing all over the place. As I rolled over on my bed and clutched my pillow tighter against my chest, I eyed Addie who looked exasperated. Yep, she's just about done with me.

Addie sighed. "You better stop that. Hanna's just in the bathroom, so unless that bathroom is in a whole other dimension, I suggest you shut up."

I rolled my eyes, sitting up from my previous position. "You're so lucky to have a brother like that," I gushed, covering the side of my face with my palm. "You could just gawk at him 24/7!"

"I can't just ogle him," laughed Addie, shaking her head in disbelief. "There's such a thing as incest, you know."

At that moment, Hanna came out of the bathroom with a smile on her face. "I just realized something."

"What?" I asked, immediately shutting up about Archer.

"Addie still hasn't told us about her and Chase," she said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

My eyes grew huge, and a smile that mirrored Hanna's appeared across my face, stretching wider by the moment. "Oh, that's right! How was his place? Anything interesting happen?"

Hanna plopped down onto my bed and propped herself up on her elbows. "Lose your V card?" she suggested with a huge smirk.

Though we were just joking, it was a legitimate question for Addie. Hanna and I knew about her obsession with the male species, but we also knew about her fear of... well, going all the way. She claims that it's just because she feels as though no man is deserving of seeing her in her 'purest form' (her words, not mine), but it's not that, that much we knew. Like most of us, she's just not ready—not ready to expose so much of herself, not ready to admit that sex is a big deal; of course, she wouldn't actually admit that out loud because it wouldn't fit with her cool, sex-is-nothing image she tries to portray.

I, too, think that sex is not nothing, but I own up to it. Sex is fundamentally simple when you think about it, concept-wise: it's just one person's body parts touching another person's—nothing more, nothing less—but it's also so much more complicated than that. It's equal parts scary and equal parts exciting. Even though I am, indeed, inexperienced, I just know these things, and I couldn't explain why even if I wanted to.

Ideally, I'm waiting for that special someone like many of my peers are as well (note the sarcasm), but I know that life is messier than that, and we can't always get what we want.

"Ew, no!" Addie denied, her face turning red. "Fucking gross, guys. There's literally nothing to talk about! All we did was biology crap."

"To your dismay," I added under my breath with a snicker.

"I thought he was interested in you?" asked Hanna, confused.

"So did I," she sighed. "Two weeks ago, he stopped reading his book when I approached him... and when he bit his lip upon seeing me? I died—" she looked up at us with a pitiful smile "—but boys... They're a complex species."

"Well, if that ain't a big, phat mood," Hanna laughed, nodding in agreement, "and I mean 'phat' with a 'ph'."

"Would you look at that—our very own Addie is having boy troubles for once in her life," I giggled, admittedly reveling in the fact that I'm not the pathetic one right now. It wouldn't last forever, and it won't be long before I'm in that state again, but no one's going to stop me from reveling in my best friend's misery.