16 | Little Did I Know

Morgan

"Morgan!" squealed Addie as she burst into my bedroom. Slamming the door shut, she hopped onto my bed, clutching my arm tightly.

"Ouch, Addie, you're hurting me," I groaned, pulling my arm away from the excited girl. "What's going on with you?"

"Morgan!" my mom suddenly called from downstairs. "Addison's here!"

Addie snickered, earning an eye roll from me. "I know, mom," I hollered back.

"I ran past your mom," giggled Addie, radiating pride. "She's getting slower as days pass, you know."

"Because you're getting weirder as days pass," I retorted as I stuck my tongue out.

"Shut up," she laughed, lightly smacking my shoulder, before she abruptly cleared her throat, a wide smile gracing her features. "Anyways," she began, waiting for me to ask.

I gave in, chuckling as I shook my head. "Okay, fine. What's up, A?"

"Your friend, M! He's driving me insane!" Addie squealed, her animated eyes bright with excitement. "He's so freaking cute and shy! And... and the way he acts with that other guy? Killian, was it? Cute as shit."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I shot her a look. "Wait, who're you talking about?" I questioned.

"Eric, M!" she giggled. "His friendship with Killian is utterly adorable... and Eric? Kill me now!"

Aren't Eric and Killian gay? Gay together, moreover?

"What about Chase?" I asked, casting her a doubtful glance.

A sour look suddenly appeared across her face, and she scrunched up her nose in disgust before looking at me directly in the eyes. "Chase and I are over, M. You know that."

"Whatever happened between you two, anyways? You did spare me the details."

Addie sighed deeply. "We just weren't meant to be, M," she shrugged. "The sooner you accept that, the better."

"But A—"

She avoided eye contact as she hissed, "Can we just drop this?"

I shook my head in dismay. "Look, Addie, I'm just worried about you," I said. "It seems like you're not dealing with this breakup."

Addie rolled her eyes at that. "It's not even a breakup."

My gaze softened at the girl as I reached out to hold her hand. She flinched away. "Addie..."

"I... I have to get going," she said, but on account of our many years of friendship, I could immediately tell she was lying. "My dad will be looking for me."

This was how Addie got when she's uncomfortable with something or if she could sense that we're about to argue. I've come to understand the girl after years of these kinds of conflicts—and also because I'm the same way—so I slowly nodded, opting to leave her be, let her come to me when she's ready. 

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow, A."

|

As I sat alone in my room later that night, I received a message from someone I least expected to receive a message from.

Trevor Parks
call?

"What is this?" I asked myself, staring at Trevor's inscrutable message. Narrowing my eyes at the phone screen, I was about to type out a reply when, all of a sudden, my phone began to ring in my hands, and the picture I had set for Trevor's contact picture illuminated the darkly lit bedroom. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest in surprise.