54 | She Didn't Deserve This

Morgan

The following morning, as I made my way back to the living room from the kitchen, two glasses of milk in hand, I saw Addie begin to wake up.

"Morning," I greeted softly.

"Mmm," she stirred before slowly sitting up, her hair sticking up at various angles. She stretched her shoulders and sighed when she heard one of her joints pop satisfyingly; I handed her one of the glasses of milk.

"Here," I said. "Might help with whatever monster of a hangover you have."

"Ugh, thanks," she replied, taking the glass into her hands. She downed the milk in one huge gulp and placed the empty cup down on the coffee table.

Out of view, from underneath the table, I fiddled with my fingers. Should I talk to her about how much she's been drinking lately? After a good minute of internal debate, I ultimately decided against it.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to confront Addie about her plausible drinking problem, especially now that she's of sound mind, but I've never been one for confrontation. I'm afraid that if we exchange words—those little untold opinions, insults that best friends should never have to say to each other, and thoughts on matters resolved long ago might come out spilling out—our friendship might not survive the aftermath.

I know that I should believe our friendship's stronger than that, more durable, and I hate to admit it, but I just don't believe so.

Still groggy from slumber, Addie noticed that something was furiously vibrating on the glass table.

"Someone's blowing up my phone," she muttered, irate, before grabbing her phone off the table. "What—?" she added under her breath, her eyes urgently scanning all her notifications.

"What's up?" I asked, sipping my milk as though it were tea. Of course, like any other teen out there, I wanted to say 'Spill the tea,' but I told myself not to stoop down to their juvenile, cringeworthy level that made adults loathe my peers.

"Spill the beans," I said instead, the words slipping out of my mouth smoother than I expected.

 Okay, so 'beans' is the same as 'tea', but 'beans' is better, okay? Beans don't get as much hate.

"Look." Addie passed me her phone, and I checked to see what she was referring to.

— Just thought y'all should know the type of girl my baby daddy's pining over xoxo, H View attached photos

View attached photos.

1k likes 158 comments
|
Chase Humphrey
OMG WHAT 😳

Eric Carter
@Chase Humphrey ditto