Black Annie

My name is Annie and I’m just a normal human being. I got A's and B's on my report card, I had big blue eyes that I received from my mother’s side and long wavy black hair, but I had a condition.

I blackout.

For some people, blacking out is losing consciousness and waking up moments or even hours later with no recollection of what happened, usually awaking from a floor, on the ground or  maybe even someone else’s bed, but I’m not like that. At first I lost a few seconds or maybe even a minute. A hot feeling would rush over me and I would open my eyes to be standing somewhere else or holding something I didn't remember holding before. No one really noticed, just thought I was spacing out, which I guess I was. I never thought of it as much of a threat.

Until the blackouts lasted longer and unusual things began to happen.

          It all began when I was talking with my boyfriend—or ex boyfriend, Trent. We weren’t really talking; he was breaking up with me. I remembered how I stood there, tears escalating down my cheeks, people passing by, shooting us odd looks, especially me who sobbed wildly into my sleeve.

          “It’s just not gonna work between you and me. I-I like someone else,” he’d said very nonchalantly. That was the last thing I remembered.

I’d felt the heat come again, but hotter this time and the blackness lasted longer than usual. When I opened my eyes again, my forearm was pressed firmly against his windpipe and students around me watched in horror. I’d gasped and looked into his wide green eyes that bugged right out of his head that was turning red, veins popping right out of his head. I released him, watching as he coughed, shoulders trembling, collapsing to his knees and giving me a fearful look.

          “What’s wrong with you, freak!” he yelled before scampering away with a reddened throat.

After spending some time away from school as the principal and my doctor suggested, I remembered staying home, my nose buried deeply into a book, trying to get my mind off of what had happened at school, but my brain just couldn’t get off of how I was completely betrayed.

It happened again.

I felt the warmth spread from my chest all the way to the tips of my fingers and down to my ankles. I watched as the room around me was suddenly enclosed in darkness and swept away into nothing. When I awoke, I was standing in an unfamiliar place.

Looking around, I didn’t recognize the kitchen I was standing in. I suddenly became very afraid, realizing I must be in someone else’s house.

But then I also discovered I’d been holding something, a knife and a slimy red pulp in my hand. I frowned, my fingers squeezing it curiously. It looked like a...heart. Frozen with fear and bewilderment, I gazed down to the floor where there was a huge pool of red on the floor, all emptying from a body that lied sprawled on the linoleum, whitewashed jeans stained with blood and long blonde hair, wet with crimson, her eyes stone blue dead eyes staring out into nothing.