Guardian Angel

The night had come and the stars shone brightly. Everyone on the gymnasium floor swung to the beat of the bass guitar as it serenaded the couples that hung off each other like Christmas decorations.

          Taylor stood beside me, rocking back and forth from the tips of his toes to the backs of his heels.

          “You wanna dance?”

I glanced over at him and blushed. “I would love to, but…” I looked out to the crowd. The dance floor was full and there was barley any room to breathe.

          “You wanna go outside?” he offered, motioning his head over to the side doors that were open to help ventilate the room.

I nodded and gladly took his hand and waddled my way through the crowd with my five inch pumps, trying not to catch my dress on anything.

          “It’s a nice night out,” Taylor said leading me towards the little gazebo.

I nodded and grimaced with pain as I walked up the stairs.

            “That’s it!” I growled bending down and peeling my heels off.

Taylor chuckled softly as I threw them to the side, my purple painted toenails gleaming in the light.

          “I’m surprised you made it this far without going barefoot.”

I rolled my eyes as Taylor slid closer to me, taking one of my hands and wrapping the other around my waist.He started to sway, leading me around the wooden floor, the music from the gymnasium still audible from all the way out here.

          “It’s much better that everyone’s eyes aren’t on us anymore,” I said.

          “I think it’s because we look so cute together,” he said, mocking my friend Jessica's words, with a little smirk in the corner of his mouth. His dark hair fell in his eyes sideways. He looked so clean and sharp with his suit that made him look older. Taylor smiled.

          “What?” I said.

He glanced away before looking back at me. “You’re so much shorter than me without your heels on.”

I sighed. “Yeah, yeah laugh it up big boy. At least I’m not freakishly tall.”

          “At least I’m not a Hobbit.”

I gasped and kicked him lightly in the shin. He only smiled brighter.

          We danced at a steady pace, Taylor’s eyes never left mine. They were like daggers it was hard to keep eye contact with him through and through. I had to pretend I was watching something fly by his head once and a while so I could have a break even though at the same time I missed being lost in the depth of his beautiful chocolate eyes.

          “I’m glad you’re here,” I said.

          “I’m glad I could be here,” he said rubbing my hand with his thumb.

Michael Buble’s ‘What a wonderful world’ was playing and it fit with everything, the glorious night, the quiet chirp from the crickets nearby and ambiance.

          “You know, you’re the best guardian angel could ever ask for.”

Taylor smiled. “Oh come now.”

          “You are.” I bit my lip and glanced down at our feet. Mine were dwarf sized compared to his. “You’ve given me everything I could’ve wanted in myself.”