Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Liam’s POV

“Wh-wh- what?” I stuttered over my words in disbelief. Georgia’s face remained emotionless. 

“You heard me.” She jerked her chin up, jaw clenching. “This, Liam, this me and you, it just isn’t working out anymore. I don’t want anything to do with it, anything to do with us anymore.” She continued, holding up her hand when I tried to interrupt. “You’ve gotta accept that.” Her voice, surprisingly, wavered on the last word. Her face was a void, but in her eyes I saw sorrow battling the blankness. I, on the other hand, was in complete shock. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to articulate what I was thinking at that moment. I do know that the room spun more than a bit and my knees weakened, that I fought hard to stay on my feet. 

“But why?” I couldn’t help myself. I scuffed my shoe listlessly on the ground, still clutching the door in my hand. Then, it happened. The simple question slipped to the forefront. “Aren’t you... happy with me, Georgie?” 

Damn it. Now I sounded pathetic. Don’t do the puppy dog eyes. I sighed. No taking it back. 

After a moment of silence, I glanced, stupidly, up at her. For a split second there was a look of heartbreaking sadness on her face. The baby blue in her eyes was completely shattered, and her shoulders slumped, mouth down turned, tears quivering on the edge of her eyelashes. She looked more beautiful, more tragically broken, than I’d ever seen her. Then, in a split second, it was gone. Her features hardened, sharpening her features and wiping anything sympathetic from her face. 

“I was.” She answered. I understood immediately, emphasis on the was. 

“Oh.” Brilliant, I know. But I felt numb, like my mouth was disconnected from my mind, and my body wasn’t going to cooperate either. I didn’t know this person standing in front of me, this girl with the cold eyes. She wasn’t Georgia, at least not the Georgia I knew. This person was all stone and ice, where my Georgia was sunlight and warmth. This person had none of her kindness, her gentleness or patience. I couldn’t imagine this girl laughing her silent laugh, shoulders shaking, bent over from the waist. Pain shot through my chest as the reality of everything set in. I was going to lose her. She was the best thing in my life, and she was going to be replaced by this person. All of her, lost. And that’s when I panicked. 

“What can I do? What can I say to you? If I tell you how much you mean to me, how much I- well, how much I love you, will you feel feel nothing? Georgia.” I reached out to take her by the shoulders, but I couldn’t force her eyes to meet mine. “This is me and you we’re talking about. We’ve been through enough things together. We can work this out. We can work anything out. Can’t we baby?” My voice broke, so I settled for a whisper. “I can’t l- lo- lose you again.  I love you so much.” I hastily dropped my gaze, studying the carpet. 

“Liam.” She sighed shakily. “It’s not going to work. I can’t explain it any other way. It’s- run its course. I suppose I’ll always love you, in a way, though.” She finally looked at me. My final glance at her, and I didn’t even recognize her eyes. “Take care.”  She said coldly, and I thought again how this person was a complete stranger to me. She went up on her tiptoes, kissing me familiarly on the cheek. A shudder ripped through me, because there was still warmth when she did that, and despite everything, her kiss still affected me.