Chapter 3

LIAMS POV

Truth? TRUTH, LOUIS? Really? On her first night here? Good Lord, the last time we played truth, Zayn and Niall didn’t speak to each other for a week and Louis shaved off one of Harry’s sideburns. We tended to share a little too much, and someone always ended up angry or hurt. George was going to be so scarred by the end of this night, I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t want to stay with us after all.

Georgia, to her credit, did look a little green. Maybe she instinctively knew to stay away from a game of truth after all. Especially where Louis and his uncanny ability to weasel out deep and dark secrets. Thd man in question bounced around some more on the bed, and Harry appeared in the doorway. “Come on, you chickens” he stated in his usual slow and steady rumble. "it’ll be... erm... interesting. And more fun this time, because no one is going to lose a sideburn! Or any other part!” Now any color George had left was gone, and she really looked scared. 

All the same, she eventually followed them out of the room, after much wheedling on Louis' part. I lingered behind, looking down at the picture of her grandmother. I could tell there was so much she was thinking about, but I didn’t want to press her. She was obviously still hurting over it, and probably the last thing she wanted was my pity. Still, in the moment, I had to be near her, at least to try to comfort her, and I couldn’t help myself from reaching out, just a hand of comfort. 

I heard her laughing with Niall in the living room, and again thought about the unavoidable attraction I felt to her. And it was only going to get worse, the more time I spent with her this summer. I couldn’t get involved with someone, though. Honestly, had I not just learned my lesson about trusting too much? My ex-girlfriend, Sadie, had been sweet and thoughtful too, at first. Then she started changing, partying too much, not returning my calls, and sometimes just disappearing altogether. Then, one night, Harold told me that he saw my Sadie with another guy, hooking up at some random bar the other lads had gone to. That was the eventual end of me and Sadie, but I still thought about her and some lingering bitterness remained from that whole thing. I knew I couldn’t put Georgia, sweet and shy Georgia, through my strange feelings about relationships in general. I shook my head. Plus, Harry would kill me if I developed strong feelings for her, and also, I had known her for ONE. DAY. Good God, Liam, get ahold of yourself. It was an impossible thing from all sides, and I would just have to push aside any attraction I felt for her. 

I was about to follow Louis out of the room, to try to talk him out of the soon-to-be fiasco that is called Truth, when my phone buzzed and played the four tone ring that signaled a text message. 

From: Sadie Fredricks

      I miss you, baby. I know we’ve been through some rough patches, but I think we can try again. Ring       me anytime, I’ve been thinking about you a lot. xx.”

Speak of the devil. I looked at my phone, thought about responding, stared at the tiny screen for an infinite amount of seconds, and finally deleted the message and dropped the phone in my pocket. It may be true that I shouldn't think about Georgia, but I didn’t need to be thinking about Sadie either. Everytime I tried to talk to her, at least to gain some closure about the whole thing, I ended up feeling like crap, and I just wasn't in the mood. Even truth was preferable to that. I stepped out into the hallway, feeling considerably lighter. I hadn’t just gone crawling back to Sadie, like I usually did when girls asked to get back together, and I was proud of myself for that. 

As I entered the kitchen, the first thing I saw was Niall, in a classic Niall position. Bent at the waist, holding his sides, mouth wide open, and laughing harder than usual. Across from him stood Georgia, looking pleased with herself and giggling at Niall's ridiculous posture.  These two. I bet myself that they’d be great friends by the end of the summer. They’re compatible. If I was unselfish and a good friend I would try to set up Niall and George, seeing as how he'd never really been in a serious relationship, but there was something in me that wanted her to stay unattached.