Chapter 16

Liam’s POV

The night had gotten colder than I realized, especially after Georgia’s warmth was gone and I was alone, making my way home in the dark. Of course, the minute I noticed the chill, I immediately began to fret over George and sickness and frostbite, because thats what I do. I sent her a short text, making sure she was tucked away in bed and feeling alright. When I received a smiley face as a reply, my shoulders relaxed and I resolutely pushed forward into the deluge. Finally, I pushed out of the downpour and into the complex. I was shivering and my teeth were chattering, and when I got to the door of my apartment my hands were shaking almost too badly to fit the key into the lock. When, at long last, the door swung open, I staggered in to immediately adjust the temperature and change into the warmest clothes I owned. 

I made myself some tea, just to warm up my insides, and then methodically washed out the cup and made myself try to sleep, despite the thoughts whirling about my head. 

Huddling into bed just then, I couldn’t help but let my mind wander over the night. I had gone to Georgia’s on a whim, not quite knowing why, but needing her to be with me, and just me, for tonight. I couldn’t say that it bothered me, exactly, that she lived with Hazza and Louis, but sometimes I’d get a twinge of jealousy and have to check myself. Stealing her away also helped, because I knew I couldn’t have her all to myself all the time, but I was plenty happy with the ungodly hours of the morning I got to spend all alone with her. 

Another thought made me toss and turn. She was starting school on Monday. That was even less time we were going to be able to spend together, and she’d be off making new friends while I was stuck in the studio or giving interviews or something of the like. I knew that these kinds of relationships didn’t always work, and it was scaring the hell out of me, looking into the future and worrying about how long I’d get to keep her. Possibly that was why I acted on my extreme whim and told her I had something amazing planned for Saturday. Another thing to worry about. I didn’t know what had gotten into me. I usually never got like this, worrying about the future, but something about this change was making me crazy. And even though I knew I was overreacting, I couldn’t help myself from imagining the worst scenarios, one after the other, feeling like they were on constant loop in my head. 

I picked up my phone, panicking slightly. I was suddenly very warm, kicking off all of the blankets and whimpering to myself. I felt so strange. I unlocked my phone and stared at my background. Niall had taken it last week,when he snuck my phone away from me. I stared at the picture, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. George and I had gone with Niall and Zayn down to the theater to watch a movie and hang out one night last week. Afterwards, we were sitting on the balcony outside of Niall’s apartment, Niall with his guitar, messing around and talking. Niall had taken my phone and snapped a picture at the perfect moment. Georgia had been looking up at Zayn, laughing at something he said, meanwhile I was closely at her side, arms wrapped around her waist. I was looking at her with a huge smile on my face, and I could see in my face, captured in the picture, the exact way I felt whenever I looked at her. Happy beyond measure. It was a perfect picture, and Niall was extremely proud of himself afterwards. Georgia had loved it as soon as she’d seen it, and now it was beginning to calm me down as well. 

*RING RING* 

I started out of my fitful sleep, squinting my eyes into the brightness that now permeated my room. My cell phone, which I had unceremoniously fallen asleep upon, had left deep indentions on my face. I glanced at the clock. It was nearly 11:30. I groaned and sniffed, noticing how congested I felt. I clicked on my phone. 

“‘lo?” I grumbled, trying to clear my throat, but being met with little success. 

“Liam? Is that you?” A worried voice came through the receiver.