Chapter 4

Georgia’s POV

I was exhausted that first night. Traveling, all the excitement surrounding the boys’ daily life, and playing truth with five ruthlessly truth-seeking lads. I couldn’t believe I had only been in London for less than 24 hours, and already they all knew all my deepest, darkest secrets. Except about Nana, I had somehow managed to avoid explaining about that one. Except to Liam. 

Liam. He presented a beautiful conundrum, that was for sure. He was extremely good looking, but didn’t outwardly flaunt it. He was strong, but also apparently just getting out of a bad relationship, which I never would've guessed. Sometimes it seemed like he felt some of the chemistry too, but sometimes he acted indifferent. Honestly, I didn’t know what to think.  Maybe I should ask Niall about it? Or Louis, since Harry always said that he gave the best advice. Or maybe I should drop it and move on with life. Argh, so many thoughts swirled around in my head. I tossed and turned for at least an hour before throwing off the duvet and padding toward the kitchen for a glass of water. 

The boys had all retired to their rooms, and so the kitchen was seemingly empty when I entered. I flicked on a couple of lights and then let out a yelp as a blond head popped up from behind the island. Niall began laughing his head off at my stricken expression, meanwhile I doubled over and tried to restart my heart. “YOU. SCARED. ME. SO. BAD.” I gasped. 

He stood up, still dying laughing. He had been sitting on the floor, in the dark, eating ice cream out of the tub. Honestly. WHO does that? Especially at 3 AM. He came to me and gave me a hug, patting my back and apologizing over and over in between bouts of hysterical laughter, which somehow made his apologies less genuine. He really did give the best hugs. Also, his laugh. I just couldn’t stay angry when he was laughing, and, hard as I tried to stay angry, soon enough I dissolved into giggles too. The two of us just stood there for ages, cracking up, and each time we managed to stop all we had to do was look at each other and we were off again. Finally, the laughter subsided and I was able to choke out “What in the world were you doing, eating ice cream, alone, in the dark, at this hour, Horan?” 

“Who are you, my mum?” He smiled and went back to the tub.

“Seriously though! You can’t just do that. You’ll scare people half to death.” I jutted out my chin defiantly. He dissolved back into laughter.

“I think I could ask myself the same question, George. You’re supposed to be jet-lagged, and you’re the one barging in on the man eating his ice cream in peace!” He guffawed.

“I just wanted some bloody water. Instead I got the shit scared out of me.” I marched past him to grab a glass from the cupboard, and filled it up. We chatted for a few more minutes about random things, and I couldn’t help thinking about how much I already liked Niall. He was sweet, easygoing, and fun to be around. I hoped we would be close friends by the end of this summer. 

My eyelids had just started to droop again when Niall trailed off his story about how he got attacked by a bird when he was small. He stood there for a second, looking at me strangely, until I stared back and asked “What?” defensively. 

“Do you like Liam?” He was blunt, this one. I gave that to him. I quickly ducked my head to hide the blush spreading over my cheeks. “I’ll take that as a yes?” 

“Oh, Niall. I don’t know. He’s definitely... nice, and I like him. But if you're referring to romantic "like," then... well, he just got out of a long relationship, and plus I’m pretty sure he feels nothing for me in that way. All that’s assuming that I like him in that way, which I also don’t exactly know yet.”

Niall nodded and then added “If you did fancy him, in that type of way, I don’t think you’d have to worry too much about him not returning the feeling. I know Liam, and you’re exactly the type of person he would want, and needs. At least the you I’ve seen so far...” I raised my eyebrows at him.