Chap. 2 The crushing news

(Anna's POV)

I had been waiting all day for Kristoff to come home. He was usually late when returning anyway, so I wasn't too worried. But as day progressed into evening, and evening into night, I got a little nervous. I was sitting with Elsa at dinner, pushing my food back forth on the plate.

"Anna? Is something wrong? You haven't even touched your food" Elsa asked, looking worried.

"I'm fine. Just tired I guess" I responded flatly.

Elsa walked over and touched my forehead. Her eyes at the same time, scanning mine.

"You don't feel warm" She said, still eyeing me.

"I'm fine Elsa. Really I am."

"I can tell that's not true. Don't worry about Kristoff, he'll be home shortly" She said, walking towards her bedroom.

I swear, she knows me too well! I think she's psychic. I sighed and stood up, heading toward my own bedroom. I was greeted by a familiar snowman.

"Hey, Anna! Any sign of Kristoff and Sven yet?" Olaf asked me.

I gently shook my head. Olaf seemed rather disappointed. He decided to hang out with me while we waited for them to return.

The hours ticked by painfully slowly. But after a while it was 11:30, and there was still no sign of Kristoff. Now I was officially worried. I know he usually gets home late, but never this late. Elsa told me to calm down and that everything would be fine. I wasn't so positive. Elsa later headed off to bed, still saying it would be fine. I decided to stay up, but after a while dozed off. I got awakened by a knock at my door.

"Princess Anna, I have news for you" Gerda called from the other side of the door. I quickly got up and opened it.

"What is it?" I asked. I noticed her expression was the same as the day my parents had died. A huge feeling of sadness and heartache overwhelmed me. I had a really bad feeling.

"It is.... sir Kristoff miss Anna" She said slowly. My heart ached miserably, as I already knew what she was gonna say.

"He.... he's.. dead your majesty. I'm so sorry" She said sadly, while hanging her head.

Immediately I felt tears flooding down my face. I managed to hold back a sob, but that didn't stop the painful lump in my throat. Nor the excruciating pain that suddenly struck my heart like a blade.

"H- how did it happen?" I asked, doing my best to not break down.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you" Gerda said, shaking her head.

"Tell me Gerda!!" I practically screamed at her.

She flinched, and started fiddling with her hands. I glared at her through bloodshot eyes.

"It was d-dragons, your highness. H-he was killed by a herd of dragons" She said shaking ever so slightly.

I gave her a look of complete disbelief. I guess she was right when she said I wouldn't believe her. At least, that's how it was at first. I soon came to grips with what she was saying.

"And... I believe.. he wanted to give you this" She said, stretching her hand out to reveal a red velvet box.

I slowly took it and opened it. More tears came flooding down my face as I looked at the small object inside. A silver ring with a small, yet heart shaped diamond sat in the center. I think that's the thing that hit me the hardest.

"He w-w- was going to propose when he got back" Gerda said sadly.

Out the corner of my eye, I could see a tear run down her face. Again, a huge pang of immense pain struck my heart. I let out a yelp and my vision started to go blurry. After that, everything went black.