Chapter 51 - Their Last Gift

Thanks for your patience. Let me know what you think!

Moon Palace

Yu Zhu opened her eyes and found herself to be in a palace made of entirely white stone. She looked around and saw giant white pillars higher than the eyes could see. Cold swirls of cloud lingered on the floor in the immensely large hall, graceful as moving water and lighter than air. Light shone faintly in the high ceiling, giving the entire place a ethereal look.

"Where am I?" She wondered quietly as she look at the hall, it extended as far as the eye could see, the purity and elegance was otherworldly. Wu Kang and the Jade Rabbit had been beside her but they too were gone.

"This is the moon. My palace." A voice as sweet and as cold as bells rang out. Yu Zhu turned around and felt her breath caught in her chest.

A woman of breathtaking beauty stood a few feet away, her midnight hair held loosely by a jade ring,  an intense contrast to her slender face. It was a face that could conquer a nation and cause men to lose their minds with one look. This was the woman who the Emperor of Heaven had fallen in love with, and with her refusal to love him back, had banished her to the moon.

The woman bowed to Yu Zhu slightly, and Yu Zhu bowed in return. As surprised as she was, there was nothing but impassive politeness in Yu Zhu's face.

"Lady Chang'e." She greeted the woman politely. Chang'e smiled, "You're quick." Chang'e had seen every kind of reaction to her beauty, from dumbstruck to awestruck before kneeling at her feet in supplication. True, Yu Zhu had looked a little shocked when she first saw her, but it was only a quick flash before the cold aura of reason took over. This little girl would bow for no one.

Yu Zhu gave a slight smile, "When the Jade Rabbit showed up, I assumed that you were the one who asked to see me. She is your servant after all. But." Yu Zhu looked at Chang'e "You and I have no relations whatsoever, I don't understand why you would want to help me."

Chang'e smile was a slight tilt of her lips, a smile that wasn't completely a smile, "I made a promise."

Her eyes closed and then her body rose into the air, Chang'e had worn white robes but now in the air they were turning into gold. When she opened her eyes, gold light replaced where her eyes should have been.

"Yu Zhu."

Yu Zhu wanted to clasp her hands to her ears, the voice rang in her bones with an earth shattering force. Instead she dug her nails into her flesh, "Who are you?"

The voice's sigh was as violent as a hurricane and as soft as rustling leaves.

"I have many names, but I am known as Nu Wa."

Yu Zhu stiffened, she looked at the glowing body of the moon goddess, "What does the Goddess of Creation want to do with a tiny creature like me?"

The Goddess said nothing for a long moment, instead a glowing silver ball flew from Nu Wa's hands, it burned like the sun. Yu Zhu shielded her eyes with her hand. Suddenly something touched her hand, the little ball was in the palm of her hand. She though it would burn her into ash but it was cool to the touch. Yu Zhu had been all spirit since she entered the realm of the dead. But once she touched the silver glowing object, she felt solid as if air didn't seem to go through her body like wind. Her feet touched the ground as she felt her heart pulse tentatively. Blood was rushing through her veins, flesh and bone was return to her from.

Strength that she's never had before roared into her veins. She could feel might that could turn mountains into dust with a single tap of her feet. Power like torrential rain broke over her head, pounding her newly formed body into nothing and resurrecting it. She wanted to open her mouth to scream but no sound came out. Nothingness swallowed everything and everything devoured nothingness. The whole of the universe was before her eyes and she felt as if she could see the birth and death of all living things.