Chapter 56 - Ambush on Ten Sides

Yue Kingdom – Earth

The little hut in the bamboo forest was nestled in a waving sea of green. Lin Yu listened to the rustle of the leaves as the winds danced among the green stalks.

She looked at the roof of the little hut with a frown. Her head hurt outrageously, and just before she woke, she had saw someone in her dreams. He stood proud and tall, haughty with a glint of laughter in his eyes. Huang Wu was always seemed so high and mighty and she couldn't resist trying to take a bite out of him to bring him down a peg or twelve. But in her dreams, Huang Wu's eyes were strange, they looked at her with a light that made her heart quicken. But that the same time, it was a look that made her want to cry and grab a hold of his hand.

Just when she had reached out to him, he took a step back and faded into the darkness.

She woke up.

Lin Yu looked at the golden mist of the sunlight that streamed through open windows, onto the clean wooden floor. She sat up and her head swam and the earth spun.

"Owwww." she took a deep breath. She couldn't remember much about last night, but someone must have rescued her.

Suddenly she covered her mouth with her hand, a blush crept up from her neck to color her cheeks apple red. She remembered kissing someone. She frowned. Who did she kiss? Her heart quickened at the thought of her lips touching that person's lips. The warmth of those lips that shocked her to her core. But she could remember a thing. She had never kissed anyone before, was it always this...unsettling?

Who did she kiss? The question rang like a gong in her head...over and over again, adding more pain to the headache.

"Anyone there?" she called out weakly, her voice no louder than the rush of leaves outside.

"Lin Yu?" A voice from a distance called back. Lin Yu blinked in surprise as she saw a dashing young man rush through the bamboo and run to the hut.

"Zhuo Hao?" She asked, her voice a little shaky from the pain.

The man who rushed in was no other than Zhu Hao, his handsome face held nothing but concern and tenderness. Carefully he knelt at her bed and touched her forehead tenderly. "Lie back down. I'll get you something for that."

She opened her mouth to argue but he shook his head and pointed, she gave a weak smile and laid down again.

Soon the smell of boiling medicine reached her nose. Lin Yu grimaced a little, "I hate the smell."

Zhuo Hao laughed, "I know, it took everything I had to make you swallow it when you weren't awake."

Lin Yu blinked, "How long have you been here?"

Zhuo Hao answered, "Since you've been here."

Lin Yu was silent for a moment, "You've been at my side all this time?" She asked, wanting to know if he was the one who rescued her.

She was lying in bed, so she didn't see the expression on his face, didn't notice that the hand which stirred the pot of medicine paused for a little.

"Yes."

It was true, he told himself. He had rushed here when the mysterious message had showed up telling him that she had been injured and where to find her. From then he had been here, taking care of her. Zhuo Hao, a man who has never taken care of a woman in his life, for the first time found himself personally making her medicine, wiping the sweat off her forehead, holding her hand in the night when the fever ran high. He wanted to always be by her side. That yes was more than just a confirmation, it was a promise that he would always protect her from now on.