Chapter 43 - Bait

Yu Zhu sat up shaking. No, she was vibrating so hard the frames of the bed shook. She gritted her teeth as she felt needles of pain shoot down her arms and legs. Waves of agony rolled over her body. Anger, bitterness, hatred rushed over her, overwhelming all of her senses. Then relief, joy, ecstasy flooded her mind, her eyes rolled back in her head. She felt so much one moment and the was nothing the next, the pain pounded her like roaring waves, then ebbing away as if being sucked back into the sea, each time taking a tiny bit of her with it. She grabbed her pillow and bit down. Her muffle screamed woke Lin Yu who came running in.

Yu Zhu shook her head as Lin Yu came close. But Yu Zhu began to glow a light that burned her eyes. Yu Zhu shook her head, "Dont. Remember last time?"

Lin Yu glanced at her arm, she still had the burn marks.

Slowly the light receded back into Yu Zhu's body. Her breathing slowed down as she felt the magic settle back into her skin. The glow ebbed away until she was fully human again.

"This is the second time it's happened, it's been half a year since the last time." Lin Yu edged close and saw down by Yu Zhu's bed. The other girl had her head in her hands. Lin Yu knew what was going on. Yu Zhu had told her about what she would become. Lin Yu's heart ached for the other girl, there was nothing enviable about becoming a god.

"The transformation is suppose to take place when I turn twenty. I predict it's going to keep happening until my birthday." Yu Zhu whispered her head still in her hands. "About two years left. So soon."

Yu Zhu took a deep shuddering breathe, "The worst part is I can feel it... I can feel the powers that I can't even begin to explain." Yu Zhu's voice became ragged, "Why do I feel so hollow?"

Lin Yu stroked Yu Zhu's head, "You're transforming. Gods derive their power from everything. Right now, you feel to the point where it overwhelms you, and by the time you transform, you will block off all emotions. Then comes rebirth, where all the bonds in this life are cut away, you'll slowly forget why you loved or hated or cared about people."

"Another choice I don't get to make," Yu Zhu sighed ruefully, "I've been care about so much that no one cares about what I want."

Lin Yu surmised, "I think it's hurting because you won't let go to your human side. You're fighting it."

Yu Zhu smiled, "I fight because I'm human. And as long as I remain one, I refuse to give up willingly."

-------------------

Lu Xi had been in her room several days, she tried not to go out as much as she could. But every night, she opened her door just a crack, after everyone had gone to bed, to devour the food Yu Zhu had placed for her.

A figure sat down next to her with a steaming mug of tea, "Cold foods are hard on the stomach." Yu Zhu smiled and crouched down by the little girl.

Lu Xi tensed like a dear ready to spring. Yu Zhu didn't make a move, "I promise I won't hurt you."

"But you're dangerous." Lu Xi gulped down the mouthful of pork, her eyes wary. "Killing is easy for you."

Yu Zhu shook her head, "I prefer not to. I think living is punishment enough. Besides, I would've  had plenty of opportunity this month but I didn't. "

Lu Xi knew that was true. They sat in silence as Lu Xi devoured the food, occasionally sipping the tea. When she was finished, Yu Zhu handed her a fine silk handkerchief, "Here." The younger girl looked at the older girl blankly, "I'll get it dirty."

Yu Zhu smiled, "That's what you're suppose to do."  The other girl took the thing gingerly, handling it as if it were delicate glass. Yu Zhu made no move to help Lu Xi, she could tell the younger girl didn't want it.