Chapter 42 - The River of Souls

"She's more beautiful than a painting." A wealthy young son  said as he lazily waved his silk fan in the crispy morning air, the picture of a wealthy young student, "If only she wasn't a lowly embroidery girl, I would marry her". He sat on the second floor of the Red Tea House, sipping on tea brought by girl servants, "She's probably even more beautiful than the Princess of Dian."

"And how would you know that?" asked another boy, "The Princess of Dian lives in the capital, deep in the heart of the palace. Like a shining Jewel."  One of his schoolmates smacked his head, "You have a long way to go before you become a poet. Don't try so hard"

His friends turned to sigh at Yu Zhu, clothed in white and grey silk robes opened the doors to her shop, her hair swaying like silent wind chimes in light breeze.

"She's so demure and polite too." the wannabe poet chimed, "Like a rose without thorns."

Zhu Zhan Ye, who was sitting a table away, snorted and nearly spat out a mouthful of tea.

The young men glared at him, daring him to make a comment against Yu Zhu. Zhu Zhan Ye smiled congenially and toasted them, "I mean no disrespect, the lady is indeed beautiful."

He paid his bill and left the tea house with his servant, Bao Lu. Seeing that Yu Zhu's store wasn't yet filled, he found himself walking across the road.

"Mistress Yu." Zhu Zhan Ye was about to cross the threshold, it had been a month since he last visited. Yu Zhu raised an eyebrow, "You are not welcome in my shop, Master Zhu."

Zhu Zhan Ye halted, "Why? Aren't we friends?"

Yu Zhu's smile was still sweet as she said, "You insulted my goodwill."

Zhu Zhan Ye looked confused, "I don't understand,"

Yu Zhu gave him a long look, before answering, "There are games that can be played and games waste time. I don't enjoy the latter."

Zhu Zhan Ye blinked, "All I asked was for you to make a scarf. I thought that's what you did for a living."

Yu Zhu's eyes flared with hidden temper, "Yes, and let me be clear, I do nothing else." She said firmly, "I run a business. I take care of my home and I don't harm people as long as they bear me no ill."

With that she tried to turn away, "Now, go away, please."

He grabbed her sleeve like a little boy. He smiled as she scowled at him, "I'm sorry. I never intended to make you angry."

"No?" She said, trying to tug the delicate sleeve out of his grasp, and looked at him keenly "Then don't come asking for my help one minute and giving me tests the next."

Zhu Zhan Ye held on tighter, "What can I do to make it up to you?"

Yu Zhu took out a knife. In a swift move, she severed her sleeve. Wordlessly, she walked away.

-----

"You're curious why Miss Yu was so mad at us. Aren't you?" Zhu Zhan Ye remarked at the silent servant. Bao Lu nodded, "She has always been kind. And while she wasn't rude, she was distant."

Zhu Zhan Ye nodded, "I can't justify having my spies on her anymore, not since i have to protect the princess."

"You ordered me to pull off all watchers from the house." Bao Lu pointed out, "You don't think she's a threat?"

Zhu Zhan Ye thought carefully, "She's a mystery, and I'm usually very good at them."

"She said you insulted her. What did that mean?"

Zhu Zhan Ye smiled, "I used the Princess of Dian to test her."

"I don't understand."

Zhu Zhan Ye sighed, "If she's as smart as I think she is, she would have realized that my ridiculous request for a scarf was nothing but a way to tell her that the Princess of Dian wasn't in the capital, but in fact, in this city."