Chapter 56.5 - The Prodigal's Plans

"Master Jin. Welcome back." The voices of the magma nymphs were respectful and excited at the sight of the young man in red, his face covered with a black mask engraved in delicate flowers and vines. He flew into the entrance of the grand cave, a place that had been his mother's home a long, long time ago.

Inside the entrance was a road paved with granite, warmed by the natural heat of the volcano. Ten carriages could pass through side by side on the opulent road. Instead, excited magma spirits stood watching the handsome young man walk down the great road to the heart of the volcano.

In the heart of the volcano was a grand palace made of black glass, its thick pillars were of pure diamonds, brought forth by the immense pressure of the volcano. It sat in a lake of lava. It was heat that could melt the human bone, but it didn't bother Jin. As a child he had once swam in delight in deep pools of fire. The hundreds of thousands of fire spirits who lived were the descendants of his original servants.

Behind him was a red globe, two unconscious figures hung inside. They were both young men, one was dressed in the palace guards clothing of the Dian Kingdom, and the other in the clothing of the commoner.

These young men were none other than Shan Ying Lang and Huang Wu.

Jin walked towards the vast cavern that contained his home, and stretched a long hand out, "Protector of the Volcano, Did you do my bidding?"

A fireball the size of his palm flew towards Jin, the blue flame that bounced excitedly in his hand "Master, all the preparations are complete." Jin nodded, a wicked smile on his lips, "Very good, Nan. It seems you have grown much more competent in the last three hundred thousand years."

The Volcanic God, Nan, looked at the red globe that drifted behind Jin, never had Nan seen humans before.

Wait... Nan sniffed. These humans smelled strange. One definitely smelled like a wolf. The other...had the tiny hint of a demon smell. But it was so faint he couldn't tell.

Nan looked at Jin curiously and back to the red bubble that contained the humans, "Master. I think you made a mistake..."

"Oh?"Jin bounced the blue flame up and down in his hand, "What mistake do you mean?"

Nan took a closer look at them, "Master, I know you have a fascination with humans but, if I were you, I would pick much prettier concubines than these two. You deserve better."

A vein popped onto Jin's forehead, as his long fingers suddenly gripped the flame tightly, "These aren't concubines."

Nan shook his head at his master, with a look of pity at his master's tastes, "Then master, surely you don't mean to bring them back as dancing girls. Our fire sprites are much prettier."

Jin glanced at the flame spirit sidelong, "I I don't mind snuffing you out. I was thinking of changing servants anyways."

Nan quickly bobbed side to side, like a head the word "no", and continued in a honeyed almost mournful tone, " But I've been with you since you were born. Master is the best, he's more handsome than the dawn and brighter than the flames of the Fire God."

Jin rolled his eyes and continued his way to the palace, tossing the god of the volcano unceremoniously over his shoulder. The red globe floated behind him.

Once inside the black palace, the air was considerably cooler, Jin snapped his fingers and the red globe broke. The two figures inside were dumped unceremoniously onto the floor.

Both of the men opened their eyes and looked around, somewhat disoriented. They had seen just a shadow on the street and all of the sudden they were here.