Chapter 55 - The Greatest of Friends, the Best of Enemies

In the dark night, the flicker of starlight were the only way that lead home.

She was was dressed in the silks made from the silkworms of the moon, incomparable material that flowed and moved without the wind, adding gossamer lightness to her alabaster skin. Yu Zhu paused in mid air as she looked down at the peaceful world. Her dark, long hair flowed behind her, a black waterfall cascading in rhythmic motion of the wind.

She wore a mask made of silver, forged in the heart of the moon. On it were delicately engraved magnolias, their petals glimmered in the starlight. Only her eyes and mouth were visible. Black eyes like augite, sparkling in their depths with hints of gold. Around her waist she wore a sword engraved with delicate vines, hung with five flowers of different colors, red, blue, gold, brown, and green.

Yu Zhu looked at the earth, the half mask hiding her expression. She remembered Chang'e's and the Jade Rabbit's parting words.

"Yu Zhu, you are enormously powerful. Minor gods would be nothing compared to you but don't underestimate the Dragon Emperor. He is old and treacherous. Even Nu Wa a creation goddess could not defeat him. Even Wei Yun, whose powers come from the creation gods fell into his hands. He has many treasures that could bring your destruction. Don't act too rashly."

Chang'e had looked at the new goddess with respect and slight apprehension, but Yu Zhu merely nodded. "I understand. But he was the one who started this with me. I won't rage against the heavens, but he can't have Wei Yun. I owe Wei Yun that much."

The jade rabbit looked at Yu Zhu, "Will you war against the heavens for one god. A fallen monster who has killed so many?"

For a moment there was an eery silence between the three women and Yu Zhu spoke, her voice soft, "He sacrificed himself for me. If not for him then I would be in the Emperor's claws, the Emperor would be using whatever powers he had to drain me of my Creation powers."

The Jade Rabbit sighed, "I had wondered why you trained so hard."

Yu Zhu's hands clenched a little, "Wei Yun made so much noise that the Emperor never dreamed that there was a Half-God from the prophesy growing up in the human realms. He made himself a monster so that I could grow up safe. I... I can't let him die. Not when so many already have for me..."

Chang'e sighed, "They say that our lives are like strings that fate ties together. Perhaps one day fate will unravel the knots that keep you from living a peaceful life."

Yu Zhu shrugged, looking into the distance, "Since I was young, all I've dreamed of was to sit underneath the peach blossom tree, playing a song for the man that I loved." The thousands of years of solitude, heartbreak, and betrayal had turned her heart cold, "I no longer know if that is possible. But perhaps if I bring peace to these lands, then someone else will have that chance instead."

Yu Zhu frowned a little as she looked at the beautiful sword and scabbard in her hands.

Yu Zhu gripped the sword in her hands with renewed strength, "Before now, I always felt as if I had no choice in how I lived my life. But I have power now, and I will make the choices. My life, my rules. And if the Emperor even thinks about provoking me." Her eyes glittered dangerously, "Then neither heaven nor earth will stop me from destroying him."

She had left the Moon Palace without a glance back, the sword in her hands gave off warmth that kept her company in the cold journey back.

Yu Zhu looked once again to the earth, she could feel the lives of all people now. Their sorrows and joys, troubles and victories. The ice in her eyes seemed to melt ever so slightly, it was good to feel all those things again after so long.