Chapter 61 - A Poisonous Cure

Kingdom of Yue

"Your Majesty, the Emissaries from Shu Le are here." A Eunuch bowed and two men, followed, walking down the great hall to the golden dais. Around them, rows of ministers looked curiously at the men of the mysterious kingdom. They were dressed in the rich furs that Shu Le, the high and eastern mountainous regions were well known for.

One of them stepped forward, "Majesty, I am Lord Jin and this is my brother, Lord Shan."

The new emperor nodded, "My lords, welcome to Yue."

Lord Jin made a slight bow, "We bring gifts in felicitations to the Emperor." With a gesture, thirty large chests, filled with gold and jewels were brought into the room. The new Emperor's eyes widened, it was unusual even for a large kingdom like Shu Le to show such generosity. Around the, rows of ministers murmured as they looked at the wonders in the chests.

Emperor Zhu Ming smiled, "Send this to my Queen. Tell her to take all that she likes."

Lord Jin stepped forward, "We have prepared a special gift for the Queen." He drew a box from his sleeve with a flourish, "This is a a thousand year snow lotus from the Shu Le kingdom, where it is said that the mountain which touches the roof of the world exists. This is the rarest of the rare medicinal flowers, and it grows on the top of that summit."

Inside a delicate metal box was a layer of precious stones encased in ice. On top laid a flower the size of a fingernail. The moment the box was opened, the entire hall felt ten degrees cooler. The tiny flower's fragrance soon filled the magnificent throne room. The hall went dead silent as every mouth fell open.

The Emperor's eyes widened, "A-A-A thousand years." The Xue Lian, or snow lotus was the most precious medicine in the land, on equal footing with the Ginseng. A hundred year one could feed a poor man and his family for three generations.

The Ministers whispered and shuffled forward, wanting to see the fabled flower that they've only heard of in fairy tales,

"I heard that it can cure all illnesses, even if you only have one breath left!" One minister whispered. The others murmured in agreement, their eyes green with envy. Jin's smile became wider, "My lord, why don't you come closer and see it for yourself?"

The emperor stood up, and though it was highly improper, he walked down the dais to receive the gift.

Lord Jin closed the lid before the Emperor's hand could touch it, "Of course, such a rare and precious gift, I would like to personally give it to the queen."

Zhu Ming frowned, his eyes on the taller man, "My queen is ill. She does not receive guests. I will give it to the queen."

Lord Jin sighed and looked at Lord Shang, "A pity." He put the box back into his sleeve. "There is a custom in my country that we must give the gift to the person who it is meant to be given to. I can not break with that tradition."

He bowed and made to leave, "My lords, Your majesty."

Zhu Ming opened his mouth, wanting to call his guards. But commons sense told him that Yue was not powerful enough to make an enemy of this lord from that powerful country. Not yet.

He gritted his teeth, "Wait." He glared at the Eunuch. "Tell the queen that I am bringing guests to her pavillion."

Lord Jin smiled.

The large palaces of the Emperor was famed for its maze of pavilions, the most beautiful of which was the residence of the queen. The visitors, led by the Emperor himself, entered a garden full of rioting roses and peonies, where lazy vines climbed grand willow trees. Small, man made streams fed into a babbling brook and a pond which housed a floating garden surround by blossoming lilies. Around the garden were open walkways where visitors could sit quietly and contemplate paradise.