Chapter 17 - The Nowhere Town

A jade green snake glid quietly along the banks of a sleepy creek, silently targeting a brown little rabbit that was too busy eating grass to notice. The little jade snake coiled and sprang only to to have the rabbit turn around and aim a kick at it. The little snake narrowly avoided the rabbit's powerful kick, turned around and glared at it balefully before trying to slither away. The rabbit shook its head.

"Lin Yu, you 900 year old little snake demon. Stop playing your tricks." The snake puffed angrily and stuck it tongue out at the rabbit. The rabbit barely concealed a glimmer of amusement in his eyes as he called after her, "As a thousand year old rabbit spirit, I taste as good as the bark on a tree. " The rabbit spoke like an older brother. Lin Yu's snake eyes narrowed in annoyance as she tried to slither farther away from the snake.

"Lin Yu, stay close, Grandfather said we have to wait here." The snake turned around and before she could speak, a whirlwind appeared on the bank, a girl in lilac silk floated gently to the ground.

The two stared at each other. The rabbit approached the sleeping girl and sniffed. His ears perked up and he said seriously. "Be on guard here. I have to get grandfather." With that he sprinted towards the direction of the town. The jade snake slowly inched towards the girl. Lin Yu was curious, she had never seen a human before, she had grown up with demons and spirits who taught her how to take human form. But here she was, a real live human. A human girl. Lin Yu felt anxious excitement grow in her, she transformed into her human form and knelt beside the sleeping figure. She grabbed a stem of a dandelion and started poking the girl.

Yu Zhu felt a gentle prick on her arm and opened her eyes. She stared at the star filled sky and stared at in wonder. Having lived in the palace her whole life she'd never seen such blackness, nor such beauty. There was a soft jab on her arm. Yu Zhu turned around and saw a stunning girl, about sixteen years old in light green robes studiously poking Yu Zhu's arm, her beauty reminded of Yu Zhu of a wild flower, unrestrained and carefree.

The girl's eyes met Yu Zhus and Yu Zhu gasped. Instead of round black pupils, the girl's eyes were slits, with bright yellow pupils. Yu Zhu blinked and the girl's eyes became normal, large almond eyes. This is a dream, Yu Zhu decided tiredly, she couldn't put enough effort to feel anything any more.

The beautiful girl smiled. Yu Zhu kept on staring. The girl put propped her head on one hand and said, "Are humans tasty?"

Yu Zhu swallowed hard, "I don't know, never tried it." She answered honestly.

The girl leaned in, "My name is Lin Yu and I haven't tried it either."

"I don't think you should start with me." Yu Zhu muttered, her head spun and she leaned back onto the soft grass.

"Why?"

Yu Zhu's lips curled into a sad smile, "I would probably taste very bitter."

Lin Yu had been holding in her excitement and didn't notice Yu Zhu's melancholy, "Grandfather said that someone was coming to live with us. I've never had a friend before. Elder Brother Tu Suo just nags at me all day and he doesn't count. So don't worry, I would never eat you. I just wanted to make you laugh"

Yu Zhu didn't answer. She was too exhausted and was asleep on the sweet grassy banks. She didn't notice when two figures , an elderly man and rabbit who transformed into a young man came up to Lin Yu. She didn't wake up when the young man gently lifted her up and carried her into the small thatched roof cottage on the edge of town.

---

Yu Zhu woke up on a bamboo leaves mat, something prickled her nose. A light green leaf danced above her nose. Yu Zhu stared at it and realized that someone was tickling her. A pair of large almond eyes stared at her. The girl was very pretty, with flowing black hair and a small pale face. Lin Yu smiled at her excitedly, "Oh good. you're awake." She hopped up and down on the small bed and called out, "Grandfather. The guest woke up!"