Chapter 53 - The Rise of the Half-God

Human Realms – Yue Kingdom

On a platform high above the grey towers of the city, in the blood red backdrop of the rising sun, Lin Yu in pure white silk danced the Dance of the Sparrows. Her movements invited the warm winds of spring, the delicate turn of her wrists seemed to chase away coldly bitter snows of winter. Each expression on her face could be its own work of art while her feet seemed to barely touch the platform as she floated like a carefree cloud, a child of the wind, a wisp of life giving breath that rushed into the city.

One man in particular looked up at the beautiful woman, his eyes drinking in every movement. His elegantly arched brows knitted together as he watched the waif on the platform. Around him the girls whispered as they looked at his handsome face, his striking figure in black silk, surrounded by a crowd of people yet utterly alone.

But the man seemed to have no eyes for anyone but the girl high on the platform, his sensuous mouth curved upwards as he watched Lin Yu take a bow. Two pins seemed to be sticking themselves in his hand. He glanced down at the bite marks she had left. He sighed.

"What an amazing dance." A man next to him whispered appreciatively, "What I wouldn't give to have a woman like that."

"That's why there's a saying that there are rare beauties whose gaze can cause warlords to give up thrones to entire countries so to have them – a beauty for a country." His friend said, and then shook his head, "Apparently the rumor is that even the Emperor's son is in love with her."

"Which one?" The man asked.

His friend shook his head, "I'm not sure, some third prince or fifth prince. Not one of the Emperor's favorites."

"But still royalty." The man pointed out, "How can we compete with that?"

Huang Wu turned away from the talk, his mouth a tight line. It was none of his business, he was the disgraced, displaced son of a dead demon king. His powers were gone, and he had betrayed Wei Yun to the Heavens just as Yu Zhu died. Perhaps if he hadn't, then Wei Yun would have been able come to the human realms to save the girl. But Lin Yu lost her sister, yet Huang Wu could not feel sorry for what he had done.

The memory of the God who killed his family burned at his soul. Huang Wu coughed, the metallic tang of blood rising from his throat. He still couldn't say a word, he had no voice. Perhaps he never will. He looked up at Lin Yu's retreating figure, the war in his heart raged hotter. What Wei Yun loved, he hated and so Yu Zhu's death was another ounce of revenge against the God who massacred the demon realms.

But Lin Yu, what she loved... He shook his head trying to clear that thoughts that were like daggers.

He looked at her again, knowing that she would never dance for him, just for him again. She would never turn around and see him protecting her. How could she, when he couldn't even make a sound to call her to him?

In the distance, Lin Yu gently came off the platform, her eyes sweeping the small group that had gathered at the foot of the high tower.

Magistrate Ke looked as if this was his luckiest day. And in some ways, it was. Lin Yu, had agreed to become his concubine. She had finally agreed to be his. And even if there are rumors that a prince was in love with her, Lin Yu had fallen for him, the Magistrate. And why shouldn't she, he was the most powerful man in the city, any woman would love him. His beady eyes set deep on his wrinkled face roved up and down the young girl, such a pretty girl he though giddly.

Lin Yu worked hard to hide the disgust and distaste from her face as he gestured to the red wedding palanquin had had provided especially for today. Her eyes stared forward as she quickly walked to the red palanquin, her face bland.