Chapter 58 - Emperor of Blood

Yue Kingdom

Sunset overlooked the magnificent capital, its light dusting over the golden roofs of the palace.

Thousands of different colored lanterns already lit the grand square where the new emperor celebrated his coronation. Hundreds of dancing girls twirled on the raised stage as advisers, generals, and scholars sat around, admiring the sight and toasting each other in celebration.

"Majesty...will you be mine tonight?" The concubine whispered as she drew circles on his chest. Zhu Ming drank another cup of Jasmine Wine and smiled at the newest addition to his harem. They sat on the dais above everyone, overlooking the grandeur. She lay, half in his arms, feeding him tasty morsels with her slender fingers.

He kissed her lips, "If you're good. I'll make you a royal concubine."

The beauty giggled, "I'm only your Majesty's humble servant, here to make you happy."

Zhu Ming pinched the girl's cheek, "Pretty thing. Make me happy enough and I'll give you everything your heart desires." The concubine smiled, the look of victory in her eyes.

As if on cue, Minister Tan laughed, "I am glad my niece has greatly pleased your majesty."

The other ministers chorused in agreement. Minister Tan was the leader of the Left, and only a step down from the Prime Minister. If his niece became queen, then he would be a powerful force in the court.

Another lord quipped, "Concubine Tan is the most beautiful of women."

Zhu Ming stroked the young girl's cheek, "She is a jewel in my palace."

Minister Tan looked meaningfully at another Lord on his right hand side.

The man nodded slightly and spoke, "Only Concubine Tan is fit to sit next to the greatest Emperor in history." The other ministers nodded in agreement.

Concubine Tan blushed modestly and looked at Zhu Ming.

Zhu Ming's smile did not reach his eyes, "Surely Lord Oh knows that I already have a queen."

"Yes your Majesty. But a woman of Concubine's talent and standing should be elevated to Royal Concubine at least. Even you, my king, thinks she is a jewel. And jewels are meant to shine." Lord Oh persuaded.

Zhu Ming suddenly tilted Concubine Tan's face to his, "My little jewel, what do you think? Would you like to be my queen? Your uncle would be greatly pleased if you became his new and powerful ally in the palace." His voice was soft with a hint of amusement.

Concubine Tan smiled, her eyes downcast "Majesty, I serve only at your pleasure. Even if I were a servant girl, I would be pleased." Inside, she was already trembling in fear, this new Emperor was more snake than man. She was never sure if he would kill her or reward her.

Zhu Ming kissed her lips sweetly. Suddenly he let her go and stood up. The musicians, seeing the motion, stopped the music, the dancers stopped and knelt down. Thousands of officials and their families looked up upon the high dais. They hushed, not sure what was going on.

The Emperor was like god. He was seen in all of his glory from afar and above, but he was not often heard.

The Emperor smiled, "Beloved subjects, tonight my Queen- to-be is too ill to attend. While I am saddened by this, I wish for my coronation to have all the luck and joy heaven grants." He paused and smiled at Concubine Tan, she smiled back excitedly. Would he give her a new title?

The emperor pointed to Minister Tan, "My lord, come and help me bring good fortune to this night."

Minister Tan's eyes lit in excitement as he bowed and shuffled next to the Emperor. At the Emperor's feet, he knelt patiently, waiting for the Emperor's next words.