Chapter 23 - Wei Yun

Yu Zhu didn't know what to say as she followed Lin Yu out of the city. Lin Yu was too furious to notice that people turned their heads to follow them as they walked out of the town. Claws and fangs slide out of the human disguises as the demons sensed that something, someone human was in their midst.

Yu Zhu put a hand on Lin Yu's shoulder as they walked on the fine dirt path to their cottage. Lin Yu turned around and hugged Yu Zhu. She howled in great gasps as Yu Zhu patted her back. Lin Yu usually brushed insults about her mother as like flies, but it was Ho Pa Lai's insults that was the feather that broke the camel's back. Yu Zhu resolved to go back and punch him more when she got the chance.

Suddenly, Lin Yu sniffed Yu Zhu and yanked her back her eyes troubles, she sniffed Yu Zhu again and frowned.

"What wrong?" Yu Zhu asked as Lin Yu.

"You." Lin Yu frowned, "you smell..." her eyes widened and her face lost its color. "Human. And if I smell it. Everyone will smell it." Lin Yu grabbed Yu Zhu's hand. "We have to get to the cottage. Grandfather will know what to do"

Yu Zhu felt around her sash and her heart dropped into her stomach, "The pendant. I must've dropped it when we were fighting." She tried to go back, but Lin Yu was much stronger, "There's not much time. Demons will be after you!"

She halted. Three figures in grey stood between them and road to the cottage. Two of them were faceless while the other, a woman, spoke for the three.

"How is it, brothers dear, that we find someone who smells like a feast in this wayward town." One of them hissed. "She smells of gods and humans, we will gain thousands of years of power if we eat her flesh and suck her marrow."

Lin Yu and Yu Zhu drew their swords, but one of the grey figures shot out a hand. Grey silk webs flew through the sky and tore the girls' swords out of their hands.

The demons laughed, "A human and a demon snake barely 900 years old wants to fight us? We are ten thousand years older than you" Yu Zhu wanted to cover her ears from that sound but she forced herself to remain calm.

"What? No words? Are you little girls too scared to look frightened?" Spier legs grew out of the demons' bodies as they dropped the ground and began crawling towards their prey. "We will make this quick, I will tear you apart for my brothers and me."

Lin Yu gathered her magic threw it at them, but the grey things blew it away like clouds.

Lin Yu shielded Yu Zhu with her body and muttered, "I can hold them off. Run." Yu Zhu shook her head, "No, I'm not leaving without you."

One of the grey things sprang, only to be bitten in half mid jump by the pincers of a six foot centipede. "Mine..." the shiny red centipede hissed, one of the grey spiders came to bite off a chunk of the centipede's body.

Yu Zhu and Lin Yu backed away quickly as more beasts roared and circled them. Yu Zhu and Lin Yu were surrounded by demons of all shapes and sizes their red eyes gleaming as they calculated their chances of eating the human girl. Wolf demons howled, boar demons grunted, giant spiders, centipedes, cockroaches salivated over the two girls in the circle. There was nowhere to run.

Yu Zhu and Lin Yu drew their daggers and threw them at their closest targets. The daggers were useless against metal claws and ivory fangs. Yu Zhu took out her last dagger and threw it at the demon running at Lin Yu. It rolled sides ways to avoid it.

Yu Zhu barely had time to smile before being thrown onto the ground by a giant black wolf demon, its claws had ripped into her clothes and tore the flesh on her shoulder. Yu Zhu bit her lip from crying from the pain out as she quickly rolled away from the claws. Lin Yu tried to help but a spider had grabbed her with silk webs, she struggled helplessly.