Chapter 52.5 The Birth of Jin

Yue Kingdom Mortal Realms

In the vast expanse of green grass that boiled and seethed, a tiny dot of brown moved faster and faster. The horse's mouth foamed as it snorted, its flanks covered in thick droplets of sweat.

On the horse was a man in silver and white robes, the clung to his powerful frame in the howling winds. He and the horse thundered through the long weaves of green, leaving holes of black earth in their path. Black blood oozed the youth's shoulder, the poison spreading like a savage army towards his heart.

Behind him rode four figures in black cloth, their eyes on their prey. The man suddenly twisted, grabbing an arrow in swift motion and stringing it on onto the ivory bow that had been given to him from his father, the Emperor.

Zhu Zhan Ye gritted his teeth and let loose an arrow, the taunt string ripping the skin off his fingers as he let go.

It sang through the air, striking one of the black cloth men in the chest. With a garbled scream the man fell from the horse.

Two arrows flew at him the same time that his arrow left his hand. Grabbing his sword, Zhu Zhan Ye deflect the two arrows, gritting his teeth in frustration.

A sudden jolt threw him from the saddle, his horse screamed in agony as its legs were sheared off by a cold flash of silver.

Zhu Zhan Ye landed with a heavy thud but quickly rolled to his feet. Coppery blood welled up to his lips but he forcefully swallowed it down as he coldly stared at the scene behind him.

In front of him were twenty assassins. He heard the sound of the three assassins' horses halting behind him, their breaths heavy after the long chase. Zhu Zhan Ye narrowed his eyes

"Little brother, why are you in such a hurry?"

A voice as cold as ice cut the air. A man in gold robes strolled from behind the people in black. Zhu Zhan Ye's pupils tightened as he recognized the man. The Crown Prince Zhu Ming. But he wasn't wearing the clothes of a crown prince. He wore the clothes of an emperor.

A bitter smile came to Zhu Zhan Ye's dry cracked lips, thin slivers of blood ran from his mouth and stained his teeth to a hair raising red.

"So it's true, Father is dead." Zhu Zhan Ye's voice was emotionless.

Zhu Ming couldn't keep the triumphant gleam as he softly said, "Yes, your mother keeps him company."

Zhu Zhan Ye's felt as if someone shattered his heart.

Zhu Ming took in the expression of the prince and shrugged, "The road to the throne has always been paved on the bodies of the weak. Don't be so naive as to think any of our brothers would do any differently. Espcially, your closest brother, Zhu Zhuo Hao."

Zhu Zhan Ye's eyes flared angrily, "You are the only brother who would conspired with that Dian General, Hong Yan Su. He lost the war to for your glory. Did you promise to help him take the Dian throne?"

Zhu Ming nodded appreciatively, "You know, if it wasn't for Hong Yan Su, my plans wouldn't have gone through so smoothly."

Zhu Zhan Ye let out a laugh, "So. Zhu Ming. You've killed your father for a chair, murdered his wives and children so you might sleep at night. What's next? Will you sacrifice your sons to appease the heavens for your sins?"

Zhu Ming looked at Zhu Zhan Ye calmly, "If their deaths can bring me the world, then they've served their purpose."

Zhu Zhan Ye looked at Zhu Ming as if he saw him for the first time. Zhu Ming smiled, the cold, slippery smile of a serpent playing with its food. "Of course, I will let you live, Zhan Ye, if you can prove useful to me." Zhu Zhan Ye raised an eyebrow without speaking. Zhu Ming continued, his hand toying with the hilt of his saber, "You've traveled far and wide. Tell me, have you heard of anything of Zhuo Hao? Tell me where he is and you'll live. I'll even give you the antidote to that poison."