Chapter 43

Midnightsky watched as Flamestar and Tussledstorm were buried into the torn-up ground. Beside her, Leafdawn swallowed.

"She was the spy, you know," Midnightsky whispered. "Tussledstorm. And she sacrificed herself to save Wavepelt. She felt horrible about everything she did."

"I would too," Leafdawn agreed softly. "She died as bravely as any warrior could."

Midnightsky nodded in silence.

When the burial had finished, Midnightsky slowly padded to Wavepelt, who was staring at the mound of dirt where the two cats had been buried.

"Wavepelt," she mewed quietly, "it's time to go to the Moonstone."

"For what?" Wavepelt looked up.

"To get your name and nine lives." Midnightsky's heart squeezed when she thought of Flamestar. The blow to him had been so powerful that he had lost all of his remaining lives. He was such a young leader...

"Oh, yeah." Wavepelt sighed. "Let's go."

"Here are your traveling herbs." Midnightsky pushed to the she-cat a bundle of herbs she had just assembled.

Wavepelt slowly lapped up the herbs. Midnightsky could tell that she was still grieving Flamestar and Tussledstorm.

"Okay, I'm ready," the light grey she-cat meowed.

They padded out of camp, not speaking at all. Wavepelt looked completely shattered — her paws were barely lifting off the ground as she walked.

"You'll see them in StarClan," Midnightsky murmured.

"I know." Wavepelt looked up. "But I just can't believe it. My brother, my mate, and my best friend were all killed by the same cat. Why did Berrytail have to make my life so miserable?"

"But he won't anymore," Midnightsky told her. "And neither will the rogues." They won't be bothering us anymore, that's for sure.

"That's true." Wavepelt sighed. "Bloodclaw and Berrytail were the two cats who tore apart my life like this. I don't know why they did, they just did it."

Midnightsky didn't reply.

When they reached Fourtrees Wavepelt gazed at the Great Rock for a long time before looking away.

"I'm going to be on that," she whispered.

Midnightsky glanced at the rock. It was pretty high — if a cat were to fall from it they could get killed.

Midnightsky shuddered. I'm happy just staying on the ground.

As they were trudging through the WindClan moor she couldn't help noticing the burnt grass that was still there. I hope that WindClan is coping all right now. They should be but I don't know.

Midnightsky shrugged. The next Gathering was pretty soon — she would see how they were going then.

***

After what seemed like forever, they were at Mothermouth. Wavepelt just stared at the tunnel entrance.

"I forgot it was that dark," she murmured.

"Just follow my tail," Midnightsky assured her. "I've been in here many times."

Wavepelt nodded and slowly followed Midnightsky into Mothermouth. It felt weird to be leading a cat who was much older than her in the dark, but Midnightsky just thought of it as a normal trip to the Moonstone.

When she felt the cave widen she stepped out. "We're here."

She heard Wavepelt come out behind her.