Chapter 25

Midnightsky shot out of the den at once. "What's going on?"

"I don't know." Barkstripe's eyes were wide.

Riverpaw came bursting in the camp entrance, panting. "Patrol...WindClan border...attack...rogues!"

That snapped Midnightsky to attention. She noticed Leafdawn peeking out the den with worry.

"Okay, a patrol will come." Barkstripe glanced quickly around the camp. "Waterfall, Featherheart, Greeneyes, Whiteclaw, and Patchfire, go follow Riverpaw to the patrol!"

"What about me?" Emberpaw asked.

"Stay here!" Patchfire exclaimed, fear sparkling in her eyes. "I don't want you to get hurt. These rogues... who knows what they've done."

Midnightsky watched the cats race out of camp, her heart aching with worry. Why were the rogues attacking? It was their first full-fledged attack. Before, they had only gone against one or two cats but now a whole patrol?

But how would the rogues ambush the patrol without being seen? she wondered.

Then a thought hit her.

The spy.

If she didn't find out who the spy was soon, ThunderClan would be in grave danger.

Really grave danger.

***

Midnightsky was tense the whole time that the patrol was out fighting. She didn't know what to do. She needed to talk to Wheatwing.

But what if Wheatwing didn't come back...?

Midnightsky shook her head. No. That wouldn't happen.

"Are they back yet?" Leafdawn asked, coming out of the medicine den.

Midnightsky shook her head. "No..."

Then the patrol burst in. Waterfall was at the front.

"Midnightsky!" he shouted. "I-it's— they're bringing her in!"

Midnightsky's widened and her fur stood on end. Featherheart and Whiteclaw were carrying a cat.

Wheatwing.

"Bring her in," she told them, trying to keep her voice from shaking. Please, I really hope I'll be able to help her.

As the two cats set Wheatwing on the nest, Midnightsky whipped around to face Leafdawn.

"I need goldenrod, horsetail— grab all the infection and injury herbs we have!" Memories flooded in of treating Leafdawn only a few days before. It's the same thing— only I'm the one leading.

She quickly examined Wheatwing. It didn't actually look too bad— a couple nicked ears, some scratches... what was the problem?

Then she saw it.

A giant, jagged wound along Wheatwing's belly.

Midnightsky gulped.

"Cobwebs! I also need cobwebs!" she told Leafdawn, starting to chew up some goldenrod and horsetail into a poultice. She applied it on the belly wound and placed cobwebs on it.

But the blood still went through.

"More!" she exclaimed. "More cobwebs!" She rushed to apply pressure to the wound to stop it from bleeding, but the wound still bled.

Midnightsky applied more and more cobwebs, and applied pressure, trying to stop the wound from bleeding. Please, please let Wheatwing live!