Chapter 16

As soon as Midnightpaw heard Flamestar coughing she knew something was wrong.

She was sharing a mouse with Leafdawn when she heard it from the ginger tom's den.

"Hold on," she told Leafdawn, "I'll be back in a sec."

"Okay," Leafdawn replied.

Midnightpaw stood up and padded over to Flamestar's den. She poked her head inside.

"Flamestar?" she asked. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, don't worry." Flamestar looked up at Midnightpaw. His normally bright amber gaze had lost its sparkle, and his breathing was ragged.

"I don't think so..." Midnightpaw went over to him and sniffed him. "I think Mintleaf should take a look at you."

"If he has time," the ThunderClan leader meowed.

"Of course he has time!" Midnightpaw made sure he was following her out of the den. "You're Clan leader, for StarClan's sake!"

Flamestar just shrugged, then was shaken by a fit of coughing.

He really isn't feeling well, Midnightpaw thought.

She entered the medicine den, Flamestar by her side. "Mintleaf?"

The medicine cat looked up. "What is it?"

Flamestar coughed.

"Oh." Mintleaf walked over to Flamestar, sniffing him. "Your scent isn't sour, so you don't have greencough, thank StarClan. I think you just have whitecough." He padded over to one of the herb piles. "I'll give you some tansy, and I'll come to see you later." He gave a couple of tansy stalks to the ginger tom, who took them and began to chew them. "You can go out now."

Flamestar nodded and left the den. Midnightpaw did the same.

"Is something happening?" Leafdawn sounded worried.

"No, don't worry," Midnightpaw told her. She quickly finished her section of the mouse. "Say, do you want to do...something...together sometime?"

"I wouldn't mind," Leafdawn replied cheerily. "What do you mean? Hunting or something?"

Midnightpaw shrugged. "Something like that."

"Hey, Leafdawn!" Silkpaw ran up to the tabby. "Rayfrost is going to take me out battle training. Do you want to come?"

"Sure!" Leafdawn exclaimed, standing up. "See you, Midnightpaw!" She trotted off with Silkpaw over to Rayfrost.

Midnightpaw watched them go, glad that Leafdawn was starting to integrate into the Clan. It had been a half-moon since she had joined.

"Midnightpaw1" Mintleaf walked up to her. "The half-moon meeting is tonight. Around sundown, come see me and we'll get the travelling herbs. Okay?"

Midnightpaw nodded. "Okay." She felt happy to be able to see Lilacpaw again. I wonder how she's doing. Hopefully, RiverClan isn't having any trouble...

She didn't know what to do now that Leafdawn and Silkpaw were gone. Maybe Wavepelt's kits wouldn't mind seeing her...

She padded over to the nursery. Gingerkit, Spikekit, Blizzardkit, and Wavepelt were sleeping, along with Ashheart, Emberkit, and Riverkit. Only Wolfkit was awake.

"Hi!" he squeaked when he saw Midnightpaw. "I'm bored. Can I go into the forest?"

"You need to be an apprentice first," Midnightpaw told him.

"Why?"

"To keep you safe." Midnightpaw shrugged. "You don't want to be eaten by a fox, do you?"