Chapter 38

"Hawkclaw says he's going to help me with tree climbing."

Leafdawn's eyes were wide as she said those words.

"Have fun," Midnightsky purred. "I won't be up there, that's for sure."

"The only thing I'm worried about is Wolfpaw," Leafdawn continued. "I can't just leave him in camp."

"You could ask Wavepelt," Midnightsky suggested. "Maybe she'll take all the apprentices out for a training session."

"Oh yeah!" Leafdawn exclaimed. "I think she doing that today. I'll go ask her." Then she left the medicine den.

Midnightsky did one final check of the herb storages. Maybe I'll go with Leafdawn and Hawkclaw when I go to gather herbs just so I have a couple of warriors nearby.

Tansy was what she needed for sure— and Midnightsky knew where a big patch of it was.

She entered the clearing and saw Leafdawn talking with Wavepelt. In a few heartbeats, the tabby was running back to Midnightsky.

"I was right," she mewed. "Wavepelt is doing a training session today so I don't have to worry about Wolfpaw."

"Do you mind if I accompany you and Hawkclaw when you go?" Midnightsky asked. "I need to get some tansy. I'll leave you two to practice alone but I just want to cats near if anything were to happen."

Leafdawn nodded in understanding. "Sure."

Midnightsky smiled. "When are you going, anyway?"

"After Hawkclaw comes back from patrol, I think." Leafdawn looked up at the sky. "Which should be soon."

"Okay," Midnightsky meowed.

The fresh-kill pile was stocked up so she padded over to get a piece of prey before leaving.

Midnightsky took a mouse and lay down to eat it.

She looked around the camp. Not surprisingly, Silkfrost was nowhere to be seen.

She could be on patrol, I guess, Midnightsky thought. But to be honest, I doubt it.

She took a bite out of her mouse. I haven't been able to watch her with Scratchclaw yet— I hope nothing bad has happened.

But something probably will happen.

Her Moonstone dream had said so.

But maybe it wasn't a cry for help. Maybe it was a cry of anguish. StarClan tends to be pretty confusing about this stuff.

But Midnightsky didn't really care about that right now.

As soon as she finished the mouse she saw Hawkclaw's patrol come into the camp. Spottedstripe (the patrol leader) padded to Flamestar's den to report. Hawkclaw, meanwhile, headed to Leafdawn.

"You ready?" he asked.

Leafdawn nodded nervously. "I am. Midnightsky's coming with us." Then she quickly explained why to Hawkclaw.

"Okay," the tom mewed. "Let's go, then."

The three of them went through the gorse tunnel. Midnightsky padded a little ahead to let Leafdawn and Hawkclaw have some space.

"I"m nervous," she heard Leafdawn say.

"Don't worry," Hawkclaw replied. "You can handle it."

Leafdawn didn't say anything else.

Midnightsky kept scanning the horizon for anything. She didn't know why, but her instinct told her to.

Rogues kind of make me do that, probably, she thought.