Chapter 5

"Come on, Midnightpaw!" Featherheart crossed the gorse tunnel, and into the forest.

As Midnightpaw followed her she yawned. It was only her second day as an apprentice. Last night Flowerpaw was haunting her in her dreams. Midnightpaw shuddered just thinking about her.

"We're going to be hunting today," Featherheart's mew cut into her thoughts. "I've decided that we'll go to the stream near Fourtrees, for there's a lot of prey running there."

"Okay," Midnightpaw replied. She was nervous about hunting. What if I mess up and Featherheart gets mad at me? Or I accidentally cross the border when I hunt? Or...

"Stop worrying, Midnightpaw!" Featherheart's voice was compassionate. "Once, I was on a patrol and accidentally crossed the ShadowClan border."

"Really?" Midnightpaw's eyes widened.

Featherheart nodded. "ShadowClan got all worked up about it. There actually was a battle! Thankfully, ShadowClan's leader, Firestar, stopped it before things got too serious." She opened her mouth to say something else, then shut it suddenly as if deciding not to.

"W-what does this mean?" Midnightpaw asked.

"Everyone makes mistakes," Featherheart explained. "Who cares if you miss your first catch? It's only your first day learning to hunt. Soon enough, you'll be an expert."

Midnightpaw flashed a small smile. "Thanks, Featherheart."

Featherheart just smiled.

***

"Now, do you know the hunter's crouch?" Featherheart asked.

Midnightpaw shook her head.

"Crouch like this." Featherheart crouched low, her tail low and still, her weight balanced. "Then creep forward." Slowly, she placed one paw ahead of the other. Then she pounced on an invisible piece of prey. "You try it."

Nervously, Midnightpaw crouched. Am I doing it right? She glanced at Featherheart, who nodded encouragingly.

"Keep your tail still," the she-cat advised. "Other than that, you're doing well. Now taste the air! Can you scent prey?"

Midnightpaw tasted the air. Forest scents flooded in: grass, bark— prey!

"I think I scent a mouse," she responded.

"Then try to catch it," Featherheart instructed.

Midnightpaw's heart pounded in her chest as she crept forward. She could see the mouse— a nice plump piece of prey. Midnightpaw got closer and closer— then pounced!

But her paws landed on ground. She heard a squeaking. Midnightpaw glanced toward the sound and saw the mouse's tail disappearing into a bush. She sighed.

"How did I miss that?" she murmured.

"Your crouch was perfect," Featherheart meowed. "You were also very quiet. The mouse noticed you by bad luck, that's all."

Midnightpaw said nothing, just stared at the ground.

"One missed catch isn't that bad," Featherheart comforted. "Try again. It's greenleaf. There's plenty of prey."

Midnightpaw looked up and nodded. I'll try again.

***

Midnightpaw entered camp carrying a thrush, eyes to the ground. Featherheart had caught the thrush. She hadn't caught anything.

"Bring that thrush and a mouse to the elders," Featherheart instructed. When Midnightpaw sadly took a mouse, her face softened. "It's okay that you didn't catch anything today, Midnightpaw. It's only your first day. You know what? Since you didn't catch anything, I'll ask Mintleaf if he needs someone to go herb collecting with him. You could go."

Midnightpaw perked up. Now that was what she liked! Her mood swinging to happiness, she bounded over to the elders den.

"These are for you," she said, dropping the two pieces of prey.

"Thank you," Splotchpelt purred. He took the thrush and brought it over to Sandypelt.

"Come on Scarletpelt, let's share this," Whiteheart beckoned the dark ginger she-cat.

Seeing that the elders were comfortable, Midnightpaw slipped away from the elders den and into the clearing.

Immediately she ran to the medicine den. "Mintleaf?"

Instead of an answer, she was bowled over. Her eyes widened as she looked up to see Flowerpaw.

"Apparentally you're coming herb collecting with me," the tortoiseshell remarked coldly. "Come on. We're getting parsley."

Midnightpaw froze. Not Flowerpaw! Stiffly, she followed the older apprentice out into the clearing. She didn't dare say a word, for she was too afraid of Flowerpaw.

Once they were out of camp, Flowerpaw whipped around to face Midnightpaw. "Listen. We're getting parsley. Only parsley. And I do know where we're going. One more thing..." Her gaze turned to ice. "You do exactly as I say."

"O-okay," Midnightpaw stuttered. She stayed behind Flowerpaw as they continued.

Flowerpaw strutted majestically through the forest, casually leaping over fallen trees that Midnightpaw had to scramble over.

Watch your back. Flowerpaw's ominous words echoed in her mind. It made Midnightpaw shiver.

"Why are you so slow?" Flowerpaw snapped. Suddenly, she flashed out a paw, slashing Midnightpaw on the cheek. Terrified, Midnightpaw drew back.

"Move faster." Flowerpaw sheathed her claws and continued padding along. Midnightpaw made an effort to trot behind her.

"Here we are." Flowerpaw halted abruptly, and Midnightpaw managed to avoid crashing into her. Curiously, she peeked out from behind the other apprentice.

She scented a herb— probably parsley since she didn't know what it was.

"Take as much as you can," Flowerpaw ordered. "And don't drop any,"

Midnightpaw quickly did as Flowerpaw said, nimbly cutting the plant with her jaws.

Flowerpaw glared at her. "Follow me." She bounded off, and Midnightpaw had to run to catch her. Huffing, she raced after the tortoiseshell apprentice.

Suddenly, Flowerpaw stopped. When Midnightpaw skidded to a halt, Flowerpaw leapt on her. Midnightpaw let out a yelp.

"You're not worth anything!" Flowerpaw exclaimed. "You can't even hunt like a regular warrior."

"It was my first day..." Midnightpaw tried to counter the blows Flowerpaw was dealing. How is she so well trained?

"'It was my first day'," Flowerpaw mimicked Midnightpaw's voice. "Pathetic!" She grabbed Midnightpaw's head with ehr paws and pounded it against the ground. Midnightpaw tried to wiggle free, but she couldn't. Her head hurt. Her body ached.

"S...stop!" She unsheathed her claws ans swiped at Flowerpaw. The tortoiseshell dodged it easily and pressed Midnightpaw's muzzle into the dirt.

I can't breathe! Panic flared in Midnightpaw as she struggeld to move. I can't go much longer! Flowerpaw's going to kill me!

And that was most likely Flowerpaw's intention.

"Say good-bye, Midnightkit," Flowerpaw sneered. "You never really counted, anyway."

Then she swiped, her blow aimed at Midnightpaw's neck.