Chapter 41

We need watermint, Midnightsky thought as she looked through the storages. I'll need someone to come with me to help get some.

Maybe I'll take Wolfpaw. That would give Leafdawn a bit of a break to be with Hawkclaw.

Yes, I'll do that. Midnightsky padded out into the clearing. Spotting Leafdawn, she approached her.

"Hey, could I borrow Wolfpaw for herb collecting?" she asked,

Leafdawn nodded. "Of course! I'll let him know." She quickly ran over to where Wolfpaw was coming out of the apprentices den with Gingerpaw. After the tabby said something to him, Wolfpaw trotted over to Midnightsky.

"I'm ready," he said confidently. "Where are we going?"

"We're going to the RiverClan border to collect watermint," Midnightsky replied.

"Okay," Wolfpaw mewed.

"Come on, let's go," Midnightsky beckoned, and the two of them went through the gorse tunnel.

"So, what do you think of Leafdawn as a mentor?' Midnightsky asked once they were walking.

"She's great," Wolfpaw purred. "She's not too strict, which is good, and she's fun to be around. We also understand each other."

"That's great," Midnightsky purred.

"She also told me what life in the rogue Clan was like," Wolfpaw continued, his eyes wide. "I can't believe cats live like that!"

"Well, they do," Midnightsky replied grimly. "Do you know that I've been in their camp before?"

"A little," Wolfpaw said. "Leafdawn said how she met you and that you helped her get to ThunderClan. She also said you rescued her again when she had gotten taken away. I can kind of remember when that happened — I was still a kit then."

"Well, that's all true," Midnightsky confirmed. "She's also saved my life before."

"Really?' Wolfpaw's eyes widened. "How?"

"Well..." Midnightsky didn't know how to explain. "When I was out gathering herbs the rogues ambushed me. Leafdawn came at just the last minute." Her voice strangled a little. It was hard to talk about that.

"Oh yeah!" Wolfpaw exclaimed. "That was how she became my mentor. I remember that now."

Their conversation kind of died as they approached the RiverClan border. Midnightsky saw some watermint and approached it.

"This is watermint," she told Wolfpaw. "If you see any make sure to gather it, but leave some so that it grows next newleaf." Not saying anything else, she started to nimbly collect the watermint stalks.

Wolfpaw watched her then went off to find some along the riverbank.

Soon Midnightsky had gotten that watermint patch, but she could gather more so she looked around for another cluster.

"I don't think I can take any more." Wolfpaw's voice was muffled. His jaws were full of watermint as he went up to Midnightsky.

Midnightsky set down her watermint. "Good — we'll head back to camp soon. I just want to see if I can find some more." Then she picked up the watermint she had and looked around.

There's another bunch! She ran over to gather a little more watermint. When she was satisfied with her amount, she quickly went back to Wolfpaw.

"Let's go back," she told the apprentice.

Wolfpaw nodded.

The way back to camp was quiet, but Midnightsky felt eerie — as if something was watching her. She kept glancing around as if something was about to jump out, but saw nothing.