Chapter 4

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath Highrock for a Clan meeting!"

Midnightkit took a deep breath, her fur nicely groomed. This was it. My apprentice ceremony. Normally she would have been really excited, but now she was determined. I need to become a warrior.

Silkkit was practically bouncing, fluffing up her pelt.

"Stop moving!" Wheatwing scolded, licking the grey tabby some more.

Silkkit sat down, frustrated.

"It is time to appoint apprentices once more," Flamestar began. "Silkkit, Midnightkit, come forward."

Midnightkit slowly padded forward. Silkkit took a massive leap and landed beside her.

"Midnightkit," Flamestar declared. "From this moment you shall be known as Midnightpaw. Your mentor will be Featherheart."

Blinking gratefully, the blue she-cat stepped forward. Midnightpaw glanced at her new mentor, and then went over to touch noses with her. She was glad to not have someone like Whiteclaw as her mentor. He's always grumpy about something! But Featherheart was kind. She was forgiving, and Midnightpaw was happy about that.

"Silkkit," Flamestar continued. "From this moment you shall be known as Silkpaw. Rayfrost, you will be her mentor."' The newly appointed warrior touched noses with Silkpaw. He had been made a warrior a few sunrises ago along with his sisters Elmwood, Patchfire, and Goldenheart.

"Midnightpaw! Silkpaw! Midnightpaw! Silkpaw!"

Silkpaw basked in all the cheering, while Midnightpaw shrunk next to Featherheart.

"What are we going to do first?" she asked her mentor once the cheering had died down.

"I was thinking we could go explore the territory," Featherheart mewed cheerfully. "Then, if there's time, I can teach you how to hunt."

"Okay," Midnightpaw replied.

She followed Featherheart out of camp. The forest wasn't as impressive as when she had seen it a few moons ago.

"Let's go see Sunningrocks first," Featherheart decided. "Then we can go along the river back."

Midnightpaw was silent as they trudged on the ground.

Maybe I could find some herbs to bring back, she thought. Mintleaf did say he was running low on yarrow...

"Midnightpaw? Hello?"

Featherheart's mew cut into her thoughts.

"Hm? What? Were you saying something?" Midnightpaw asked, embarrassed.

"I said, can you scent RiverClan?" Featherheart asked. "It has a... fishy smell." She wrinkled her nose. She didn't sound angry at Midnightpaw, thankfully, and her gaze only reflected sympathy.

Midnightpaw tasted the air and shut her mouth immediately.

"I think so," she commented. "It smells disgusting!"

"I would get used to it." Featherheart shrugged. "I didn't like it either the first time I smelled it. Wait until you smell the Thunderpath."

The Thunderpath. Midnightpaw's fur stood on end.

"Do we have to go there?" she whispered. She knew the stories of how Wheatwing's brother, Wolfpaw, died on the Thunderpath, and also how Wavepelt was injured.

"Don't worry." Featherheart nudged her gently. "The monsters stay on the Thunderpath. There's nothing to be afraid of except if you actually go on it."