Chapter 33

Midnightsky ran in the open land, feeling the urgency of the situation. Heat resounded all around her.

She needed to get back.

She ran but the flames had encircled her. Slowly, they crept closer, and closer.

"Help!" she screamed.

But no one heard her. The rain wouldn't come this time.

Midnightsky could move no further. The flames were right beside her. In a few heartbeats, she would be in them.

"No!" she exclaimed.

***

Midnightsky woke up, breathing hard. Three nights in a row since the Gathering and the fire she had been having nightmares. She sighed.

But the fire only really affected WindClan. It's only the rogues we still need to deal with...

It had been strange that the rogues hadn't had any contact with them since they attacked her (not counting Silkfrost's capture).

She had the sickening feeling that they were planning something terrible. But when they would attack, ThunderClan would be ready.

I really need to find out who the spy is.

Whoever the spy was was probably helping the rogues a lot.

When do they do their report? Midnightsky wondered. Tonight I'll take a look.

She stood up, wincing a little when her paws stung, still a little burned. It was a painful reminder of that night— and Moorwhisker's death.

Why can't my life just be normal?

She stretched and walked out of the den. I should check Bushtail's burns. The brown tom had gotten badly burned when he had helped a WindClan queen and her kits get away from the fire. He insisted that he was fine, but Midnightsky thought otherwise.

"Bushtail!" She noticed him about to leave for a patrol and approached him. "I need to look at your burns."

"They don't hurt," Bushtail protested.

"They may not hurt now but they could hurt much more later." Midnightsky examined the injuries.

"They're haling well," she noticed. "I don't think you need anything right now. But if the burns start to hurt, come see me, all right?"

"All right," concurred Bushtail.

After he left camp with the patrol Midnightsky headed to the medicine den. Riverpaw was in there.

"Do you need anything?" Midnightsky asked.

"Mouse bile," the apprentice muttered.

"I'll get some," Midnightsky stifled a smile. As punishment for going out of camp alone Emberpaw and Riverpaw had been confined to taking care of the elders for a moon.

She was able to soak some moss with the bile without too much effort (thankfully) and she pushed it over to Riverpaw.

"Remember, don't hold the soaked part in your mouth or you'll have a bad taste in your mouth for days," she told him.

"I know," Riverpaw grumbled before leaving the den in silence.

Midnightsky's whiskers twitched with amusement at the tom's grumpy tone. Serves him right for going in the forest without a warrior. She was glad that nothing bad had happened. We already have enough cats, including me, recovering from burns. We don't want rogues attacking.