Chapter 10

"Just like any other cat, a medicine cat needs to know how to defend itself," Mintleaf told Midnightpaw as they padded over to the sandy hollow. "That is why I will be teaching you some combat moves today."

Midnightpaw trotted along happily. She hadn't been half-bad at battle training when she was a warrior apprentice. She shouldn't have much trouble.

"Okay," Mintleaf began when they got to the sandy hollow. "We'll be practicing mostly defensive moves, for a medicine cat does not need to attack."

Midnightpaw nodded slowly.

"But first, we'll see what you know already," the medicine cat continued. Suddenly, he rushed forward, toward Midnightpaw. The apprentice dodged and leapt on Mintleaf, making sure to keep her claws sheathed. Mintleaf dropped to the ground, and Midnightpaw quickly got off him as he rolled.

Midnightpaw sprang to offensive, dashing at Mintleaf and sliding under him, nipping his hind legs as she went. When Mintleaf whipped around, she rushed at him again.

But Mintleaf was ready. He swiftly dodged and bowled her over, pinning her down on the side.

"Good," he approved. "You did well. But you need some more practice." He let Midnightpaw get up. "And that is what we are here for." He sat down and started smoothing his ruffled fur. "When you slipped under me, that was a good move. But I probably wouldn't have immediately rushed again after that. I dodged and was able to easily pin you down."

"Why did you pin me on the side?" Midnightpaw asked.

"I made up that trick as a medicine cat apprentice," Mintleaf explained. "When you pin your opponent on the side, they aren't able to use their hind legs to spring up."

Huh, Midnightpaw thought.

"We could practice that if you want," Mintleaf suggested.

"Okay," Midnightpaw agreed.

"So, when you pin on the side, you want to turn your opponent." Mintleaf demonstrated the motion with his paws. "One of your paws will be on who you're fighting, and the other will be beside them. You try."

Midnightpaw paused for a few heartbeats, processing what she had to do. Then she charged at Mintleaf, barreling into him and rotating him. But she fumbled and ended up having Mintleaf's back facing her.

"Try again," Mintleaf told her. "Try to think about how big your opponent is."

Midnightpaw nodded. She backed up and rushed up at Mintleaf, pushing him down by his side with her front paws, and put one paw on the ground.

"Much better!" Mintleaf praised as Midnightpaw let him get up. "Now let's keep working."

***

It was sun-high when Midnightpaw and Mintleaf entered camp, exhausted.

"You did well in battle training," Mintleaf commented. "You can have a break for the rest of the day. Get a piece of prey from the fresh-kill pile— but only one, since it's leaf-bare. Go do something with Silkpaw or whatever you want."

Midnightpaw perked up. "Thanks, Mintleaf." She padded over to the fresh-kill pile and dragged off a vole. As she chewed it on slowly, she looked around the camp. There were some cats missing... Silverfang was there...

Wheatwing and SIlkpaw! Probably on patrol. Midnightpaw shrugged and continued eating her vole.

Sure enough, Silkpaw strode in the camp with Rayfrost, Bushtail, Patchfire, Treetail, Curlyfur, and Mousetail.