Chapter 29

Midnightsky stopped short. "What? No— I can't do this!"

"I'll help you!" Lilacsong exclaimed. "I know what to do."

Leafdawn nodded. "We need to get to camp fast!"

The three of them shot off down Highstones. Midnightsky felt the wind whizzing by her as she ran. Her heart was pounding in her chest.

What if I won't be able to do this? she thought, panicking. What if I don't get there in time? What if Goldenheart and her kits don't survive?

She shook her head to clear those thoughts. I have Lilacsong helping me. And Leafdawn. We can do this.

She was still worried, though. She had only experienced two kittings (Ashheart's and Wavepelt's) and had only helped with one (Wavepelt's). She hoped Lilacsong knew what she was doing.

"Is anyone helping her right now?" she asked, puffing.

"Curlyfur and Wheatwing are," Leafdawn replied. "But we'll need your help soon."

"Okay." Midnightsky's heart started to pound some more as they crossed into ThunderClan territory. She kept getting worried even though she knew she shouldn't.

"We're almost there," Leafdawn mewed suddenly.

Midnightsky saw Lilacsong nod beside her. Before she knew it, they were already inside the camp.

The first thing Midnightsky did was enter the nursery. "I'm here!"

Goldenheart was lying in her nest, a pained expression on her face.

"The spasms have been coming for a while," explained Curlyfur who was beside her. "None of the kits have come yet."

"I brought Lilacsong of RiverClan to help." Midnightsky glanced over as Lilacsong entered the den.

"What do you need me to do?" the blue tortoiseshell asked.

"Uh..." Midnightsky, almost panicking, racked her brain. "I need raspberry leaves," she remembered.

Lilacsong nodded and ran out of the den.

Midnightsky placed a paw on Goldenheart's flank, remembering what she had done at Wavepelt's kitting. She felt around.

"Three kits," she announced.

Goldenheart said nothing, clenching the stick in her jaws when another spasm of pain rippled through her.

It's starting, Midnightsky noticed.

"The first one's coming." She tried to keep her voice as calm as she could. "Push!"

With a grunt, Goldenheart did so (along with a partial yelp) and the first kit slid into the nest.

"A tom." Midnightsky examined it, nipping the sack and pushing it over to Wheatwing. This kit was white like his father but it had some golden patches.

"Raspberry leaves!" Lilacsong entered the nursery, a bunch of leaves in her jaws. She dropped them onto the ground. "How's it going?"

"The second one's coming," Midnightsky meowed.

"How many are there?"

"Three total."

Lilacsong glanced at Goldenheart's stick which was very close to splintering in half. "Would you like me to get you another stick?" she asked.

Goldenheart managed to nod wearily, and soon Lilacsong was out of the den again.

The second kit came. Midnightsky nipped the sack again and this time gave it to Curlyfur.