Chapter 37

Silkfrost was waiting for Midnightsky when she came out of Mothermouth.

"Let's go," Midnightsky murmured uneasily, expecting a sharp retort.

But Silkfrost said nothing. Instead, she just followed Midnightsky as they descended Highstones.

Midnightsky couldn't help glancing at the 'abandoned' Twoleg nest as they passed it, thinking about the voice in her dream.

He was probably a rogue. But I would have probably heard his voice before— unfortunately I've been in the RogueClan camp many times. If it's not a rogue in the camp—

"Do you think there's some sort of a StarClan for rogues?" she wondered out loud.

Silkfrost murmured something about rogues apparently not being good enough and said nothing else.

This is when I wish Mintleaf was still alive. Even though she had gotten used to handling all of the medicine cat duties on her own, she still missed Mintleaf terribly.

But it was his time. He had to go. Besides, I see him in my dreams when I go the Moonstone— usually. Last night's dream had been quite an exception.

And the one I had as an apprentice, with all of the Blackpaw in it...

Thinking of Blackpaw made her wonder what the black apprentice was doing.

He's probably a full-grown warrior now, ordering around exhausted apprentices. To be honest, that sounds a lot like Blackpaw.

Midnightsky hadn't seen Blackpaw in a very long time — although she had heard him when the rogues had ambushed her— and her memories drifted back to when she had gone to the RogueClan camp for the first time to rescue Wheatwing.

That was also when I met Leafdawn for the first time.

But then she glanced at Silkfrost and her thoughts shifted to the shriek she had heard.

What's going to happen? Fear gripped her body and she struggled not to shake.

Midnightsky had a few guesses at what was going to happen.

Her main one? Scratchclaw.

You can't trust a rogue. You just can't.

She desperately wanted to keep her sister from visiting him. But I made a promise that I wouldn't interfere. All I'm going to do is monitor everything every once in a while.

Midnightsky hadn't done that yet— she had no idea when Silkfrost would go to see Scratchclaw.

I just hope she doesn't start expecting kits. Silkfrost never really hung out with any of the toms— ThunderClan would probably be confused if all of a sudden Silkfrost was expecting kits.

But I'm a medicine cat. I can take care of that if that happens.

Now she and Silkfrost were at Fourtrees. Midnightsky watched her sister's gaze.

Silkfrost was looking forward, but every so often she would glance at the WindClan border, a hopeful look in her eye.

Midnightsky said nothing, just looked back.

She didn't really do much as they padded the rest of the way to camp.

But then a thought hit her.

Should I tell Wheatwing about Blackpaw?

She had no idea why she thought that. But for some strange reason she felt a sort of connection to the black rogue.

Not love. Definitely not love. It was a different sort of connection. Midnightsky didn't really know how to explain it.