Chapter 8: Through the Desert pt.2

(2nd pov)

While walking through the desert, you held a blank expression as Luffy complains about the heat. His crew told him to quit complaining and get use to it, but he doesn't listen.

"You two don't seem to be having a hard time, Vivi-chan, (Y/n)-chan." Sanji said. "I was born and raised here, so it doesn't bother me much." Vivi said to him. "It doesn't bother me as well, I've trained hard to get use to the heat." You said shrugging.

"But what's with all these hills? I figured a desert would be more flat." Usopp said panting. "This is a very old desert, so some sand dunes here are over 300 meters high." Vivi answered. "Th-Three hundred meters?" Usopp said in disbelief. "No wonder this is like climbing mountains."

You dozed off a bit since you know what happened next. Luffy, Usopp, and Sanji fight over water that Luffy drank. Vivi told them to stop fighting. You looked at Ace who watched the scene, you rose a brow at him, but shrugged it off.

Nighttime came and everyone set their camps up to rest. Everyone sat around the fire place for warmth and food. You sat beside Ace, with your arm resting on your knee. "It was so hot during the day! What's going on?!" Nami said to Vivi while shivering. "With nothing to block out the temperature, the desert scorched during the day but falls below freezing at night. The desert is fraught with unpredictable dangers." Vivi confirmed.

You watched the boys cuddling against Chopper since he's warm and all. You smiled and shook your head in fondness. You hear Vivi and Ace talk about Luffy and Ace being concerned. You got up and went inside a tent with Ace behind you and sat down.

"What about you?" Ace asked. You turned to him with a raised brow. "You said that you're not part of his crew, so how'd you react about Luffy and his crew?" He asked you.

You sighed and stared up at the night sky. "To be honest, I had no reaction to it." You said which confused Ace. "When I first met him, I saw something in him, like he's someone you can rely on. Someone who's got your back when you're in trouble." You said with a smile on your face.

Ace smiled and nodded. "That's something he might do." He said. A minute of silence has passed as you felt Ace scooting beside you. You turned your head to see Ace leaning on you, with his arm around you, you tilt your head.

"What are you doing?" You asked him. He turned his head to face you, few inches away from each other. "Keeping us warm, why?" He asked with a smirk on his face.

You deadpanned at him. "I'm not bothered by the cold and you're made of fire, so there's no point of it." You said to him as he pouted at that. "I know that but can I at least cuddle you?" Ace said hugging you.

You pursued your lips and then sighed. "Fine." You felt yourself being pulled down by Ace and both of you now laid on the ground. You blinked and looked at Ace, that is grinning like an idiot.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" You asked him and he nodded. "Let's sleep like this." Ace said with a closed-eye smile. You sighed loudly as you trying to get comfortable. "Night, (Y/n)." He said while cuddling you. "Night." You said as you drift to sleep with Ace beside you.

In the morning

"Whoa! I found a shrimp!" Luffy shouted which woke you up. You rubbed your eyes and trying to sit up but you felt arms around you.

You look beside you to see Ace still asleep. You gently pulled his arm away from you and walked outside to see Luffy holding a scorpion by the tail, with Chopper and Usopp staring at it.

"Luffy-san! Throw that away!" Vivi shouted in alarm. "No! That'd be a waste!" Luffy said with a frown. "That's a scorpion! It's small but it's very poisonous! You'll die if it stings you!" Vivi said to him.