thirty-three

"Are you gonna tell me where we're going this time or are we gonna drive in silence for twenty minutes again?"

Julia put on her seatbelt after she put on her shoes again since her feet were nearly numb from the cold air outside. She was still wearing Dom's jacket, which was really warm, and she knew she wouldn't have to take it off anytime soon since he had told her he never even wears jackets. He only brought it with him so she could put it on.

"I really want it to be a surprise." Dom frowned but he still had the same smile that hadn't left his face ever since they kissed. Julia had the same kind of smile though so she knew how he was feeling.

"Please tell me," Julia begged him, laying her hand on his free hand as he drove them away from the spot they had been sitting at for nearly two hours.

Dom shook his head with a fond smile and instead put on the radio, turning it up a little so he could hum along with the music. Julia sighed dramatically and turned it down right after.

"What if I don't like it?" she asked him, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I know you'll like it."

Dom obviously missed the touch of Julia's hand on his and he reached out to grab her hand again while focusing on the road. Julia gave in and let him hold her hand and let him pull it all the way to his lap, running his finger over the back of her hand.

"Can I guess?"

"Sure, try."

Julia furrowed her eyebrows and pursed her lips while thinking. "Are we going to your studio?" she asked him excitedly, but Dom shook his head, making her think again.

"Are we gonna eat pizza somewhere?"

Dom shook his head again, but shortly and then said, "I mean if you're hungry we can stop for pizza."

"Not really," she mumbled, looking ahead again. It was silent for a bit and Julia quickly got distracted by a song on the radio and she started singing along softly. She noticed how Dom held her hand a little tighter as soon as she started singing higher along with the song.

His touch reminded her of how she just randomly stopped guessing where they were going, and she snapped out of the song quickly.

"Are we going to have sex?"

The sudden question caused Dom to choke and he coughed once before turning his head to look at Julia. "I know you'll probably like that too but not this time."

She laughed softly but then suddenly remembered something she had once said on chat with Dom.

"We're going to an abandoned building!" she exclaimed, like she was positive of it. And she was right, because Dom finally nodded and smiled fondly, biting his bottom lip. It made her want to kiss him again right at that moment, but he would probably drive them off road and they'd die.

"Awesome," she said happily, letting go of his hand to be able to rest her head against the window of the door next to her.

A few times during the rest of the ride, which was only fifteen minutes, Julia was about to fall asleep. But she really didn't want Dom to notice because she knew he would bring her back home instead of taking her to the building. And she didn't want to leave him yet.

Luckily he never noticed or or maybe he didn't mind and half an hour later they were standing in the middle of a huge dark, empty cinema. Nearly all the windows were covered with wood hammered in front of it, except for the one through which they had entered the building. Even the space that used to be the entrance of the cinema was shielded with three layers of wood.

The covered windows didn't let any lights from outside come through, which made it incredibly hard for them to see which made the building so much more creepier. Julia couldn't even see Dom, who was standing right next to her holding her hand so that they wouldn't lose each other.

"I think I can use my flashlight as long as the light won't peek through any open parts so it can be seen outside," Dom whispered to her, and she heard him move and a few seconds later he turned on his flashlight, shining in her eyes for a second.

"Stop," she whined, squinting her eyes which made Dom chuckle softly.

"Glad it works," he joked as he started walking slowly, Julia following him while she couldn't stop herself from smiling fondly and shaking her head at his action.

Dom shined his light on three big, red chairs. The chairs were standing in the middle of the hall and they were completely ruined. The chair on the left still had an empty popcorn box laying on it, and Dom reached out to pick it up.

"That's disgusting," Julia whispered at him, pulling him back. He turned the flashlight to her, this time not right into her eyes, but she could see his face.

"I'm just wondering how the hell it got there," he said thoughtfully.

Julia shrugged. "Maybe other people alrea-"

She got interrupted by a sudden sound coming from the exact window they had used to enter the building. Julia's heart rate immediately picked up and she stared at Dom with wide eyes. He didn't hesitate a second to hold her hand tightly and pull her away from the place they were standing, into the closest room he could find.

The room have a door anymore, but it did have a wall they could hide behind. Dom gently pushed Julia into the corner so she could sit down there, and he crouched in front of her, covering her completely.

Julia was holding her breath to make sure she was making no sound, but she couldn't help but gasp when she heard footsteps on the floor.

Dom wrapped his arms around her and pressed her against his chest. It was not that it helped hiding her, but hearing his heart beat she could guess he was pretty scared as well.

The footsteps stopped but they both didn't even dare to move a muscle. Julia had her eyes squeezed closed so she could focus on any sound that was coming from the room next to theirs.

After about ten seconds of silence the walking started again, but it was now fading away from them, giving Julia and Dom the opportunity to breathe for a moment. Dom laid both his shaky hands on Julia's head to press it closer to his chest and kissed her hair softly a few times. Then he moved back a little bit and looked around.

"There's an open window at the side of this room. Do you see it?" he said really quietly and he let Julia move away from him a little so she could look for it. She indeed saw a window not really far from them that caused a tiny little bit of light to peek through so they could actually see something in the room. The window was just big enough for them to probably climb through and escape the building.

"When I say 'go' you fucking run and climb through it, yeah?"

Julia looked up at him and made sure she waited a moment to listen if the footsteps came closer before she answered him.

"You're gonna follow me, right?"

"Of course I am," he smiled softly, "just run to the car and I'll follow you."

Julia nodded at his instructions and he kissed her forehead once before he locked his eyes with hers again and quietly said, "go".

It may have been the worst moment to run, because the footsteps were back at the exact same time. But Julia was quick to climb through the window and run back to the car Dom had parked behind a few bushes as fast as she could. And as he had promised, he followed her right after.

Julia felt like she had never been as scared and full of adrenaline at the same time as when they drove away from the building and she heard a voice yelling at them. It was something she never wanted to experience again, but also never had wanted to miss.

-----

Sorry the last two updates took longer than normal but chapters that don't just exist of texts take a lot longer to write 🥺