thirty-eight

"So you can sing as well? What kind of songs-"

"Mum," Julia groaned, laying her head on the table in embarrassment. "Stop asking questions."

"Can't I get to know your boyfriend?" she asked Julia, frowning. Julia heard how Dom laughed softly and laid his hand on her back to get her attention so she would sit up again.

At the start Julia loved how her mother kept asking Dom questions. Before she had told her parents she broke up with Brendon and immediately got into a relationship with Dom she had been so scared for their reaction. And of course at the start they were a little shocked, but their reaction was much better than she expected it to be.

"Honey why didn't you tell me you went away last night because you and Brendon broke up? I was worried about you," her mother said, comforting Julia by wrapping her arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer. Julia wiped a tear away with her pinky and shrugged.

"I didn't know what do think about it and what to do."

"I'm happy you did call Dominic instead of sitting there alone all night."

Julia nodded. "I actually wanted to talk about what happened between us because we had a fight two days ago. But when he came to sit with me on the beach it just felt so... good."

"I'm happy you two figured it out. He seems to be a sweet boy."

Julia smiled softly and slowly looked up to her mother as she remained to play with her fingers. "Actually we didn't just make it up to each other," she said a little nervous, avoiding eye contact when she saw how her mother got a little confused and frowned.

"Oh?"

"He's my boyfriend now."

It was silent for a bit, which was normal because she understood her mother had to think about it. Julia could imagine it was a lot to process how she went from one boyfriend to another in just one night. With no context it sounded so wrong.

"He is?" was the only thing her mother asked her confusedly, and Julia nodded again.

"In the past weeks nothing really felt right with Brendon and I didn't know why until Brendon and I fought and then Dom texted me saying he liked me. I just... suddenly I realized I liked Dom a lot."

"You know," her mother started, causing Julia to look up into her eyes again. "I'm happy it happened. You seemed so unhappy every time I asked you about Brendon."

Julia looked down and bit her lip.

"But when you just talked about Dom-" her mother stopped, laying her hand on Julia's to get her attention, "look at me."

Julia did what her mother said and smiled a little.

"See! When you talked about Dominic you had that smile. I missed that smile."

Obviously she didn't tell her mother about her and Dom breaking into the abandoned cinema. But she wasn't planning to because her mother seemed to love Dom so far.

"I sing in all kinds of styles," Dom answered the question, frowning as he was thinking about it. "Maybe mostly hiphop? Rock & roll?"

"That's ni-"

"Dom, let's go skateboarding," Julia interrupted her mother, though looking at Dom. "I'm done with this."

Dom chuckled and looked at Julia's mother. "We'll talk further when we're back."

The tone in his voice betrayed he mostly said it just to mess with Julia, and it helped because she rolled her eyes trying not to smile and then pulled Dom up from his chair to lead him to the hallway.

"Your mum's nice," Dom said, a smile audible in his voice because he knew how annoyed Julia was by her mother. She groaned and turned so she was looking at him, still holding his hand.

"It was embarrassing! I'm positive she was about to tell about me as a baby."

Dom laughed again and kissed her cheek which did cause Julia to smile a little.

"Well I already know about your guitar lessons and your crush on the guitar instructor," he teased her, receiving a weak punch from Julia who couldn't hold her laugh back.

"We don't ever talk about it again."

"What you want," Dom answered as he let go of her hand to hold her face with both of his hands and kiss her on her lips. He moved away after a quick kiss but Julia quickly pulled him back for another, which caused Dom to chuckle softly.

"Let's see who's the better skater," he said when they finally let go after a few more short kisses and their quiet laughs in-between.

"Me obviously." Julia pulled her jacket off the coat rack and put it on.

"You better give me a solid skateboard so I at least have a small chance of keeping up with you."

Dom ran a hand through his hair to brush it backwards, which didn't even help because it never stayed in place, and then put the hood of his hoodie on his head. Like he always did when he went outside instead of putting on a jacket.

"You get Senna's. It's basically new because she only wanted it because I had one but she barely uses it." Julia stepped closer to Dom again after watching herself in the mirror and she adjusted his hood so it looked perfect to her. Then she gave him another kiss.

"Sounds exactly like my sister when she was younger," he said before she lead him to the garage where her and her sister's skateboards were. Julia had to admit she hadn't been skateboarding for weeks as well, but Dom had told her he hadn't done it for months so it was okay.

"A bright pink one?!" Dom exclaimed when Julia took out the skateboard he could use and showed it to him. "That's amazing!"

She laughed and rolled it over to him, watching him stop the skateboard with his foot before she grabbed her own. She loved how he seemed so excited over Senna's skateboard. It reminded of the times she wanted to go skating with Brendon and he refused to go on Senna's because he didn't want to embarrass himself. Dom seemed so different in so many aspects and it made Julia realize things she had never thought of before.

Not all guys cared about what other guys thought of them. Maybe the fact that Dom was someone who didn't care was one of the reasons Julia liked him so much.

"Babe are you done staring into the distance thinking of strategies or can we go ahead and skate?" Dom asked her, making her snap out of her thoughts.

"I wasn't-" Julia mumbled but shaking her head knowing her thoughts weren't that relevant to tell anyways. "You're just cute."

Dom pouted and widened his eyes a little bit, making himself absolutely adorable. Julia laughed and laid the skateboard on the ground to stand on it and skate into his direction. She wanted to stop next to him to kiss him for the umpteenth time because she just loved to kiss him, but Dom had other plans and jumped on the pink skateboard to skate away from her as quickly as he could.

"Whoever gets to the cafe first gets free nachos!"

"Guess I'll have free nachos today!"

-----

Sorry this took me so long but I'm so not content with this chapter but I couldn't change it anymore because of the following chapter :( So sorry this was boring. Don't stop reading because the next chapters are gonna be a loooot better.