sixty-seven

"Are you sure she's still breathing?"

"Sir, we've just checked. She's stable at the moment."

"But she looks so pale."

A hand touched Julia's hand, giving her a weird feeling. It was the first thing she felt again after she woke up, and she had no idea what was happening.

"We think she passed out because she's hypothermic, but we're not sure. It's not life threatening, though."

"Okay."

The person sighed, and weirdly enough that was when Julia realized it was Dom. She wanted to turn her hand around, to hold his, because she now knew it was his hand on hers. But the only thing she could move right now were her eyes, so she opened them.

Apparently Dom had just been staring at her face praying for her to open her eyes, because the second she opened them she looked right into his green eyes that lit up once they made eye contact.

"Jula," he said, smiling softly as he started rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. Julia could only stare at him while trying to figure out what was happening. She opened her mouth to try to ask him, but she got distracted by the way she was moving all of a sudden, causing Dom to let go of her hand.

She was laying on a stretcher, that was now rolled into an ambulance by a paramedic. Julia only looked at the paramedic for a second before she looked back at Dom, who stood outside the car but was still looking at her with his sad eyes.

"Do you want to come with her to the hospital?" the paramedic asked him, making him look away from her.

What confused Julia was the fact that the last thing she could remember was fighting Dom over text. She didn't exactly know what they said to each other, but she remembered being mad at him. That was everything she remembered before it became a blur.

"I'll stay with her until her family is there."

The paramedic nodded Dom got into the ambulance, sitting down next to Julia's stretcher. He laid his hand on the grey blanket laying on top of her body and smiled at her, not saying anything.

And it was the grey blanket that made Julia realize what had happened. Dom had told her he actually still liked her, and he'd come over to talk. Right after that, someone had attacked her.

But at the moment that didn't really matter to Julia. Dom still liked her. The thought of it caused Julia's stomach to flip, even though it also kind of hurt. She smiled a little, and Dom saw it.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked her, maybe also to test her if she could talk to him.

And maybe she could talk to him. But instead Julia decided to enjoy what she was feeling now and she happily closed her eyes, feeling herself drifting away again.

-

A machine next to her making sounds that were a little too loud caused Julia to wake up for the second time. Confusedly, Julia opened her eyes and squeezed them a little only to see that someone was standing in the doorway, talking to someone else.

Julia instantly smiled, knowing it was Dom who was still with her. She tried to sit up and call his name, but the intense headache stopped her and made her immediately lay down again.

"Dom," she mumbled, making the person turn around.

"Honey," the person said, and Julia realized it wasn't Dom who had been standing in the doorway. It was her mother, and she should be happy she was here, but she wasn't at all.