- 52 -

Your POV

"How long have they been acting like this?"

"Well, they've been.. desperate.. in a sense since a couple months after we left, but then after Frances was born, that's when it really picked up. Whenever we had her, they'd act all, like, innocent and-and sweet. But when she wasn't there, they became all hostile and threatening."

Detective Garcia wrote some things down. "How would they threaten you, Mrs. Laurens?"

"It was never really anything specific, or even that bad, but it was always along the lines of "you'll regret this" or whatnot," I answered.

"Were they ever violent?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No. I don't know what got into them for them to do- to do that."

"I think that's something only they'll be able to answer," the detective replied. "But a clear motive we're getting from this is jealousy."

I nodded. "It's always been a motive of theirs after things happened, I think."

-

Detective Garcia walked back in after having disappeared for a few minutes to talk with another officer. He came back in with what looked like a decent-sized book in his hands, taking his seat again.

"Another officer searching their apartment found this," he informed, sliding the book over. "Figured you might've been wondering where it went."

I adjusted Frances - now fast asleep - in my lap, looking at the book. It was a scrapbook John and I had started making shortly after we left. How did we not notice that was missing? When did it go missing?

"We didn't even realize they had taken that," I responded. "I wonder when.."

"Did either of you see them leave with something the morning Frances was taken?" Detective Garcia asked, pulling out his notepad again.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Lafayette had ended up.. knocking me unconscious, so I didn't see them leave. John would probably know though."

The detective nodded. "We'll be sure to ask Mr. Laurens questions once he's awake and stable enough to. However, Officer Grant says it's highly unlikely they would've left with it that same morning."

I paused, trying to think. That's when it hit me. "Well, we had gone out later that day to start looking around. Maybe.. Maybe they went back while we were gone?"

"That's what we're speculating. Since we know they can pick locks on doors, they must've."

"But why? Unless they were coming back looking for one of us, I can't think of anything we have they could want," I responded, moving a hand to run it through my hair.

"Your guess is as good as mine, Mrs. Laurens. But we're going to talk to all three of them as soon as possible. We're going to get answers to everything."

~ later ~

Alexander's POV

"Your partners say that Mr. Laurens was the first one to make a move," the detective spoke, looking down at his notepad. "Is that so, Mr. Hamilton?"

I paused a moment. We could easily get away with something. (Y/N) hadn't been in the room, Laf and Herc had already answered, and since John would probably hardly remember a thing - according to Herc - he might not be able to answer correctly. We had a solid chance at something.

But for some reason, I couldn't will myself to answer "Yes, John did". "No. I did, sir.." I answered after a few beats.

"Is that so?" the detective wrote something down. "What happened?"

"Well.. he managed to get (Y/N) and Frances out of our room without any of us getting to her. After the door was closed, we were all just kinda mad at him, and I just.. just kinda rushed at him to try and get past him," I explained. "That's what I remember, at least.. he ended up knocking me out not long after."

"And what did Mr. Laurens do in response?" Detective Garcia asked. "If you can recall, at least."

"He grabbed my arm and pulled me back," I answered after a moment. "And that was when the fighting started."

Detective Garcia nodded, writing some things down in his notebook. "Your proper cooperation is appreciated, Mr. Hamilton. I'll be sure to talk to Mr. Mulligan and Mr. Lafayette again shortly."

He asked some more questions, and once that was done, he made to get up and leave. Once he got to the door though, I couldn't help but speak up. "Detective?"

"Yes, Mr. Hamilton?" he turned around.

"Do you-" I paused slightly, "do you know if John is alright?"

"I know Mr. Laurens is still unconscious. Nothing appeared to be seriously broken, but he definitely has a while of recovery ahead of him." Detective Garcia stopped before opening the door. "Have a good day, Mr. Hamilton."

Once the door was closed, I was left to my thoughts yet again. Deep, deep down, I felt a pang of guilt. But why? This was all our choice. We wanted revenge, so we took Frances. They tried getting her back, so we hurt John. This was just what we got for it.

I had no reason to feel guilty.