- 18 -

~ the next morning ~

Your POV

I woke up nearly on top of John. His arms were wrapped securely around my waist and his heartbeat was calm and steady in my ear.

I sighed quietly, remembering yesterday's events. I had been at least somewhat tense and stressed for the remainder of the evening, but didn't yell again. There was barely a moment last night that I didn't see John.

I adjusted my body slightly, feeling John shift and mumble something groggily.

"Mornin' princesa.."

"G'morning príncipe," I responded quietly.

"How'd you sleep?"

"Decent enough.." I muttered in reply, burying my head in his chest.

One of John's hands traced gentle circles on my back, and I sighed contently.

"I don't wanna get up.."

John chuckled quietly. "We don't have to yet."

At that, I adjusted so I wasn't laying nearly directly on top of him. Instead, I moved so I could curl up against John, burying my head in the crook of his neck. I held onto one of John's hands, closing my eyes again.

"You can go back to sleep, princesa. I'll wake you up when it's time," he spoke softly.

I didn't reply, only squeezing his hand gently as I drifted back off.

~

John and I were sat at our table, quietly eating breakfast.

After finishing and cleaning up the dishes, we went into the living room. John turned on the TV and I absentmindedly went to grab the small binder on the coffee table titled 'Wedding Planner'.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by John placing his hand over mine, preventing me from picking up the white binder.

I looked up at John, who only briefly shook his head. "Remember yesterday, chickadee? You're taking a break today."

"But—"

He shook his head again, bringing our hands back but not letting go. "No 'but's. It'll do you good, I promise."

I sighed, leaning against his arm and resting my head on his shoulder. "Fine."

John let go of my hand only to move his arm around me, rubbing my shoulder. "I can take care of the planning later. You've done enough for quite a while."

I didn't reply, only watching him go on to Netflix. He scrolled through, shaking his head after a moment. "We're running out of good things to watch..."

I couldn't help but stifle a giggle, John noticing and smiling.

He turned the TV back off after a moment. "I have a better idea."

John didn't say anything else, only standing up and picking me up without warning. I squeaked in surprise, holding onto his sweatshirt as he walked.

He nudged the door to his art room open, setting me down once in the center of the room.

"Why are we in here?" I asked after a beat.

"I wanna help you get better at painting," John answered.

I took a slight step back. "I hate to break it to you, mi amor, but I'm only good at one art form and that's music. Not painting."

"That's why it's called 'practicing'. How else did you get so well at music?" John countered simply, going over to his easel and placing a blank, white canvas on it. I watched as he gathered some of his paints, turning to me afterwards.

He motioned for me to go over. "C'mere princesa."

Hesitantly, I walked over, standing next to John in front of the canvas.

"What do you wanna paint?" John asked.

I shrugged. "I... don't know."

"Well... how about we just start with a simple little sunset.." he spoke, turning his attention to the various warm shades of paint next to him.

When he was done, he handed me a brush, pointing to the splotch of red paint on his pallet. "Take the red, and paint a small portion across the top. That'll be the top of the gradient."

I did as John instructed, slowly painting across the top of the canvas.

John explained each step, and I tried to follow him the best I could. Occasionally, he'd place his hand over mine and guide me across the canvas when I got confused, or when I was trying to make mountains.

After what must've been about a half hour, I finished the simple painting. I was pretty happy with myself. For barely knowing how to paint, I did well with John's help. I was pretty sure I'd only do that good with his help though..

John looked at the painting, smiling. "I told you you could do it! You did a wonderful job, chickadee."

"Oh please. It's nothing like your art," I responded, motioning around the room splashed with color.

There were paintings of things like summertime hung up, or rainy scenes leaning against the wall. There was a super detailed painting of a bright sunflower field on the wall, which had been one of John's long-term projects. Pretty much, the room exclaimed "John Laurens".

"But it came out wonderful, regardless," John replied.

~ that evening ~

I pulled John upstairs, entering my small music room. Inside was a piano, my guitar and ukulele, and some recording equipment. It was an organized mess, needless to say.

I sat down at the piano bench, moving over so John could sit next to me.

I spent a couple minutes teaching him basic things, and then chords -such as both C major and C minor-.

"Wait, what was that cool yet sad-sounding chord you played earlier?" John asked, aimlessly pressing down keys trying to remember.

"Do you mean this one?" I answered, playing E minor.

He nodded. "Yeah! What's that one?"

"E minor. Here..."

I placed my hand over his, guiding his fingers to the notes. I lifted my hand as he played the chord.

"That sounds so cool.." he mused.

I giggled, nodding as I played around with other minor chords on the lower octaves. "Yeah. I love minor chords."

He made some random chords and notes a moment before looking at me, placing a quick, gentle kiss on my cheek. "Thanks for teaching me some things."

"Well thank you for helping me paint."

"Thank you for spending the day with me."

"Of course, príncipe."