- 40 -

~ June 11: 1:37 AM ~

Your POV

The one thing I was hating so far about the eighth month was the general discomfort of my bump. Not to mention even walking up or down a few steps caused me to run out of breath. Not fun.

And because of the discomfort I was feeling, I was still awake while John had long-since fallen asleep. But I didn't want to move because I didn't wanna wake him up. Did I mention I could get fidgety at times? Make that another problem.

Unable to keep still any longer, I lifted John's arm off of me as carefully as I could. Slipping out of his embrace, I got off of the bed. Silently, I walked across the bedroom and opened the door, closing it gently and going to the bathroom.

Something felt... a little odd.. when I used the bathroom. Glancing down at the toilet paper, I was momentarily stunned to see what looked like some form of bloody mucus. I paused, trying to think of what it was.

After some moments, I was unable to remember whatever the hell it was called, but I did know what it meant. It meant I'd go into labor within the next few days, which shocked me even more, because I wasn't due for at least another few weeks.

I finished using the bathroom, once I washed my hands sitting on the rim of the bathtub. I didn't feel sick, I was just trying to wrap my head around what I just saw.

It didn't help my stomach hurt from the weight of the baby, and the fact I was tired but couldn't sleep. It was also almost two in the morning. I was not having much luck at the moment.

"You really like doing this to Mama, don't you?" I mumbled to my stomach. "Keeping her up until two in the morning. You just couldn't wait another month to do this, could you?"

The next few minutes were me sat in silence, my mind wandering. After another minute, there was a gentle knock at the door, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Princesa? Are you alright?" John's tired voice asked.

"Yeah.. I'm fine, baby," I responded quietly.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."

The door opened after a moment, revealing a sleepy John. He ran a hand through his short, dark curls. "Why're you up, chickadee? It's almost two in the morning.."

"I'm being kept awake," I answered, cracking a small smile.

John chuckled quietly, walking over and sitting next to me. "Why the bathroom of all places though?"

"Well, I mean.. why else?" I paused. "I, um... saw something too.."

My husband looked over to me, both curiosity and slight worry in his hazel eyes. "What was it?"

"Do you... do you remember that thing I told you about, about a month ago?"

John was still a moment, thinking. "I think so..? Was it that... what was it... that weird bloody stuff?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"But I thought you said it only came a few days before..." he trailed off, eyes growing after a moment and looking at me. "T-That means..."

"A premature birth... yeah.." I finished quietly.

"Doesn't that put the baby at risk though?" John asked nervously.

"Hopefully not.." I answered. "It would've been worse had it been a month ago."

"Well," John laughed softly. "I guess we'll be having our little one home sooner than expected."

I nodded, and we stayed there for a few more minutes until John suggested we go back to bed. I agreed, getting up and following him out after shutting the light off.

The thought of a premature birth was a bit anxiety-inducing. What if something bad happened to the baby and caused problems? What if bigger problems occurred, and the baby died.. or even myself? I had heard different stories... but I guess I just had to wait and see.

~ four days later ~

I was at my mothers' home. It had been a while since I had seen them and we had decided to go out to lunch, afterwards heading back to their house.

Since the evening before, I'd been having pains in my lower back as well as, well, in-between my thighs. I thought they might've been false contractions, but there were two problems with that. One, Braxton-Hicks didn't gradually worsen, and two, I had "bloody show", or what I saw a few days ago.

Regardless of that, I went out, reassuring John I'd be fine before he went to the animal shelter for a shift.

Now, I was in my mothers' kitchen, talking to John on the phone after he had called to check in. He was in the middle of a sentence when I felt a strong wave of pain. My breathing hitched, and John picked up on that.

"Are you alright, baby girl?"

"Y-Yeah. I'm fine.."

"Maybe you should come home soon, princesa," my husband suggested.

"W-Well... maybe. Just don't worry too much, mi amor. I'll be fine."

I heard John sigh softly. "I won't. Just take it easy, baby girl."

"I will. I love you, príncipe."

"I love you too, princesa."

Click.

I took a breath, trying to push away the remaining pain. Once I felt better enough, I headed back into the living room.

"How're you holding up?" Mama asked when I sat back in the chair by the couch.

"Surprisingly well. But... they're definitely worsening," I answered.

"I'm pretty sure you've entered early labor, sweetheart," Mom responded. "The same thing happened for me, minus being a month early."

I paused. "I... I don't know if I'm ready.. I've been given eight months, but... I don't know," I admitted sheepishly.

Mom laughed. "It's okay, sweetheart. Being nervous is normal. You and John will be amazing parents."

"You really will," Mama added.

I smiled. "Thanks Mom, Mama."

~

I had stayed for another couple hours, until things got a little... interesting.

Mama had driven me back home in my car once the pain started getting too hard to ignore. Mom drove her car to take Mama home was I was back.

After getting home and saying goodbyes, John helped me upstairs, letting me lay on the bed while he went to run a bath. He came back in after a bit, bringing me to the bathroom.

John turned off the water, and I started carefully undressing. While carefully getting out of my shorts, I felt a trickling down my bare thigh. My eyes widened, and I looked up at John in complete anxiety.

A brief moment passed, and I felt more liquid stream down my legs and hit the floor.

John looked at me with worried hazel eyes, pulling me to him as another contraction hit. I felt tears start slipping down my face.

"I got you, princesa.. I got you.."