Chapter 6

Chapter 6

After the Boxing Day incident, as it came to be known, Harry spent the remainder of the holiday break in bed. Doctor Elsewhere had been out to Meadow Crest that morning and spent quite awhile giving Harry a thorough going over. He used a number of different incantations coupled with a variety of instruments and then spent over an hour talking with his most famous, and most perplexing, patient. After the Healer left, Harry got a visit from Ginny and Fleur.

"What did the Healer have to say, Harry?" Ginny asked, after she gave him a soft, quick kiss.

"He didn't say anything for quite awhile," Harry said with a chuckle, "I don't think he was that thorough when they gave me my check up after the dragon thing. Then he talked quite a bit. He seems to be satisfied with the general state of my health but has a couple of concerns."

"That doesn't sound so bad," she said.

"Time will tell. For one thing, it seems my body temperature is running a bit higher than normal. He says that can happen but tied in with my appetite he thinks maybe my metabolism is running too high."

"Is that really a problem, Harry? You'll just stay thin, right?" Ginny suggested.

"True, but he's also concerned it might start to wear on me after a while."

Fleur had been watching and listening and things were coming together in her mind faster than for Ginny.

"'arry, are you sayeeng the 'ealer theenks thees could damage you? What, make you old before your time?"

"Something like that, yes."

"What?" Ginny exclaimed. "What is he doing about it?"

"At the moment, nothing. He doesn't know what he can do, if anything. He suggested that I try and cut back on my eating and see if reducing the amount of fuel might cause my body to slow down some."

"But then you'll be hungry all the time, won't you?" Ginny asked, obviously concerned.

"He suggested that I spread it out over the day, more smaller meals, but less food over the course of the day. I'll have a little chat with Kreacher and Nibs. They are the experts in cookery, maybe they know what might work."

"Maybe," Ginny said, sounding a bit dubious. "Was there anything else?"

"Just his general concern that these episodes of heavy magic aren't doing me much good, either."

"Well, that's easily dealt with. Stop doing it."

"Ginny, sweetheart, do you think it's that easy, just stop? Half the time I don't even know what I'm getting into when these things happen," Harry protested.

"Well, let me ask you this. When you started throwing lightening and thunder at whatever this was, were you being attacked?" Ginny asked.

"Well, no, but it made a threat against you and the family."

"Did it? From what you told us, it mentioned the possibility and you started in with the fireworks."

Harry sat there, propped up against the pillows, considering his wife's comments. He had to finally admit that he probably could have ended the exchange without the pyrotechnics. His eyes drifted over to Fleur who looked back with one eyebrow cocked. It always amazed Harry how much meaning Fleur could pack into a simple physical gesture.

"Point taken," was all Harry would say.

During the remainder of the break Harry rested but was almost never alone. At various points during any given day, Harry could be found playing chess with Albus, going over James' plans for continued explorations once the damage to the grounds was repaired or playing various games with little Lily. He would also chat with his mother who made several visits during the day to check up on him. There would also be visits from various members of the extended family. A very serious discussion took place when Bill had dropped by near the end of the break.