Chapter 33

The Start of Term feast, despite the unorthodox and slightly delayed beginning, quickly settled into its usual routine. Announcements were made, to include Harry informing the student body that it appeared that the main threat that had been hanging over their heads the last couple of years was over. But he cautioned that the students should remain vigilant for trouble and diligent in their studies. He and the rest of the faculty were particularly pleased, he told them, since last years exams had the highest average grades seen in many, many years. The warning about journeying into the Dark Forest was especially important, they were informed by Professor Sprout, since recent events had created some additional safety hazards and no one was allowed under the trees without appropriate escort.

Dominique Weasley sat quietly among her new housemates listening to the announcements while wondering what had become of Trevor Osborne, the small boy who had made the ride on the Express in her compartment and presented her, her new friends and the school administration with a significant mystery. His poor physical condition and even worse emotional and psychological state indicated the boy had suffered significant abuse for some time. How he had gotten on the train in the first place was a big question. He had his letter and his ticket but that was it. No robes, no school colors, no books, nothing.

She managed to eat her dinner and engage with her tablemates when drawn into the conversation but it was all half heartedly done. She received her schedule from her father who gave only the slightest of winks as any indication of their relationship. As her sister had before her, she had to explain that her father's facial scars were the result of a werewolf attack during the days of conflict against Voldemort and his Deatheaters. Yes, she stated, her father had in fact practiced what he taught.

Before she could make her way up to the hospital wing she had to spend some time after the meal being introduced to friends of her sister and cousin. One introduction provided one of the lighter moments in what had turned out to be a fairly serious day. When James' friend Cecil came over from the Hufflepuff table to greet his mate, James took the opportunity to introduce him to his newly arrived cousin. Now, obviously the boy had seen her walk in with the rest of the first years and then more clearly when she sat on the stool to wear the Sorting Hat. However, he apparently wasn't prepared for the full effect of standing a mere few feet away.

"Cecil," James began, "I want you to meet my cousin, Dominique. As you can probably tell, she's Vee's younger sister. Domi, this is my friend and partner in crime, Cecil Rhoades."

"Hello, Cecil, it's very nice to meet you," she said, holding out her hand to the boy.

James couldn't help but smile at seeing his friend for quite possibly the first time in his life, at a loss for words. Dominique saw this too and she let her voice drop into that soft tone that worked so well on Trevor.

"I've heard your name before, of course. James has told me so much about you and how much help you were to him all last year."

This seemed to help Cecil get a hold of himself and with a bit of a shake of his head he took her hand and shook it while saying,

"Well, it's no big thing, really. He's me mate and you always have to have your mate's back."

She smiled that smile and James had to hide a laugh as he saw his mate blinking owlishly.

"It's certainly has been nice meeting you all. Victoire, when will I be able to get up to the hospital wing?"

"After we get up to the tower and you all hear what the Prefect has to say. Then I'll take you there but we won't be able to stay too long."

"That's alright," Domi said, "I just want to see that Trevor is okay. I promised him."

It was at this point that the various House prefects called their tables to attention and got the first years moving toward their new homes for the year. As Cecil watched Dominique walk away, James heard him mumble,