Chapter 30

Chapter 30

James lay on his back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling, the toy wizard on a broom doing a slow circle above him. It was the morning after his father's birthday party and it had been a very eventful day for the boy as well. He was pretty sure that a girl liked him. She had kissed him after all. They might have even been on their first date. He wasn't sure, though, hence the slightly distracted and very thoughtful expression. His contemplation of this new situation was interrupted by a very familiar voice.

"Well, hello there, little man. What has you so thoughtful this fine morning?"

He looked down past his toes and saw the diminutive figure of Abagail in the doorway, regarding him with a slight smile. In typical fashion for a twelve year old he replied,

"Nothing."

Abagail entered the room and sat down on the edge of his bed.

"Really? You think you can get around me like that?" she asked as she gently punched his leg.

"Get off, Abs. Better be careful, I'm bigger than you are now."

"Well, what a fine gentleman you're turning out to be. Would your lady fair approve of you threatening your own sister?" Abagail asked with a grin.

"I didn't threaten you, I just pointed out that I've been growing. And what's all this lady fair rubbish."

"I had breakfast with Harry and Ginny. They had quite a bit to tell me. Kai sounds like a very nice girl."

James went back to staring at the ceiling.

"Yes, she is. And I'll thank you not to make jokes about it. I'll get enough of that from Al, the little git."

"I wasn't making jokes, James. Well, not much of one. I'm really rather pleased, although I might have to give some serious thought to stop calling you 'little man', you're growing up so much," Abagail said in soothing tones.

"You stop calling me 'little man' and you'll do something not even Da can stop," James said without looking at her.

"What would that be?" she asked.

"Bringing the world to an end," he replied lifting his head up and in one smooth motion flinging his pillow at her.

The sounds of combat erupted from James' room. Brother and sister emerged a few minutes later, she with her arm wrapped affectionately around his shoulder and they went out to the meadow with brooms and spent the rest of the morning chasing each other and trading Quaffle passes.

In the library, Harry was passing the morning with Angus, playing chess. Harry was half hoping that Ron would stop by the house to give him a break and stop the bleeding but by the time Abagail and James came back inside for lunch Harry had lost four straight games.

"Aye, Professor, if'n ye don't mind me saying, ye seem a bit off'n yer game."

"I haven't done much playing of late, Angus, and I guess I'm still a little fuzzy from last week's escapades. And if I'm not mistaken, you've added some new tricks," Harry observed. "I understand congratulations are in order. I hear you've been promoted at the Ministry."

"Oh, aye. The Minister is much impressed with some of the figurin' ay've been doin' of late. He wants me ta set up a group ta do more. Train up a few likely lads."

"That's brilliant, Angus. Do you think it's time to upgrade your living quarters then?" Harry asked, as they returned their respective pieces to their proper places.

"We've been givin' it a thought, Professor. Abbie has been doin' right well so we can afford it."

They were interrupted when Abagail said,