Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Abagail sat on the couch in Harry's library, her legs pulled up under her, and listened and watched as Deputy Chief Milligan and Deputy for Investigations Goldstein briefed Harry on the results to date of their investigation into the death of the wizard found in the Dark Forest the week prior. She had to suppress a smile as she saw how the two Aurors deferred to Harry, the word 'chief' popping up here and there. She had often heard how he would object to it but it was also obvious that he easily fell back into the role as he listened to the information. A nod or probing question and the calm but serious expression so familiar from his few, but significant, years as the Chief. When Milligan was done Harry adjusted his glasses and said,

"So, we have the body of Herr Gerhardt Falkstein, presumably from Germany and the assumption that he was on his way to see me, but no other evidence or information. Not a lot to go on, is it?"

"No, it's not, Harry," Anthony replied. "All he had on him was that old piece of paper with his name on it. Even that would be suspect if Abagail hadn't been able to confirm it. But beyond that," he tailed off with a shrug.

"I'm sorry, Harry," Abagail said, "but it was all so, I don't know, foggy, or blurry. I've never had trouble like that before. We thought maybe all the magic that was being thrown at him might have disrupted everything."

"No need to be sorry, little one. You can't be expected to see what's not there," he said with a small smile before turning back to Milligan. "How long before you hear back from your contacts on the continent?"

"A few more days, I'd think," the lanky wizard replied. "The message went out three days ago, once we confirmed the name. I'm fairly confident we'll turn up something. Between the clothes and the somewhat upscale broom, he's probably not someone who's disappearance would go unnoticed."

"Alright, well, if you turn up anything, please let me know. I have a nervous Head asking me everyday about what's going on and I'm sure the Centaurs are interested," Harry said.

With that the three wizards stood up and Harry walked the two Aurors to the front door. Abagail followed along behind. She saw Milligan go out and Anthony Goldstein hang back a moment. She heard him say,

"Be careful, Harry. Something about all this is making me uneasy. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think something is going on."

"What do mean, Anthony?"

"I can't say for sure, yet, but I've been piecing some things together. Incidents from over the last few years. Let me think on it and I'll come talk to you. For now, I'd suggest you look over your shoulder now and again, that's all."

With a grin and a slap on the shoulder, Harry nodded and watched as his friend rejoined Milligan on the front portico. After closing the door, he turned to see Abagail regarding him intently. He raised his eyebrows and said,

"So, do you see something?"

"Not really, Harry. Remember, I don't see the future. But I know your friend is genuinely concerned. He's been combing through reports and asking a lot of questions. And if he's concerned, you should be, too."

By this time Harry had closed the distance between them and draped an arm around her shoulder.

"Little one, I don't think I can remember a time when I wasn't concerned about something. Don't worry, a dead wizard falling out of the sky isn't something I'm going to ignore."

And he didn't. The next morning he spoke with Professor Sprout, the Headmistress, to see if the name of the dead wizard meant anything to her or the school. She had never heard of him before but she would speak to others and see if it had any significance. He also needed to talk to the Centaurs and he asked Hagrid to relay the request. He also thought that he needed a way to make these requests directly. It seemed a bit silly that he needed to use Hagrid as an intermediary, considering his relationship with the herd.