Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Albus Potter was sitting in his favorite spot in his father's library, a book open on his lap. He wasn't aware that he was under scrutiny from the doorway until a familiar voice said,

"Good morning, Al, how are you?" Abagail asked.

"Hey there," Albus replied as he looked up, "I'm fine, thank you. How's my favorite jailbird doing?"

"Albus Severus Potter!" Abagail responded severely as she walked into the library, a cup of tea in one hand, a small dish in the other. "You know very well that I was in Azkaban helping with the investigation. I'm no jailbird."

"I dunno, Abs. Two days in the nick is what it is," the boy said with a perfectly straight face.

"In the nick? Where did you ever hear that?" she asked, sitting down on the couch opposite the boy.

"Abs, Abs, Abs," Albus said, shaking his head a bit. "With all the different people that troop in and out of this house? You'd be surprised what you can pick up if you just listen."

Abagail regarded her younger brother with a bit of a squint. She would never stoop to reading the boy, but oh how she would have loved to, just once.

"And just what have you been hearing, my dear brother?"

"Well, it sounds like Dad and the others have started to get a handle on this thing, right?" he asked.

"I think you could say that, Al. They don't know everything, or everyone involved, but I think you could say that they see the big picture and we need to start filling in the details."

"That's why you're planning on leaving for the continent soon, aren't you?" the boy asked.

"I won't ask how you know about that, but yes, it is. Your Uncle Anthony thinks he has some people of interest, I believe they call them, for me to look at."

"Has anyone considered the idea that with all this happening, that these other people may decide to try harder to stop you, us?" Al asked, those serious green eyes fixed on her.

"I'm sure they have, sweetie. Are you worried?"

"Of course, I'm worried, Abs. We all are. Why do you think Mr. Monty was out there that night he tore up that wizard? Lily sent him out there. And James has been working for almost two years on his outdoor stuff and he's already had his first battle. And what am I doing? Sitting around reading books and playing with my odds and ends. Talk about useless."

"Oh, Albus, sweetheart, don't say that. What are you expecting? You're just nine years old," Abagail pointed out.

Albus closed the book in his lap and stood up. Before leaving he looked at his older sister and said,

"With everything that's going on, I can't afford to be just nine years old."

Abagail looked at the empty doorway for a while after Albus had left. She wasn't sure he was wrong. However, based on what Harry and the dragon were able to discover coupled with Abagail's peeling of Hereford, there was reason for cautious optimism among the adults. The plans for the three separate Halloween festivities were in full swing. At one point it had been suggested that any or all of the events might become targets for an attack and should be cancelled, but it was decided it would be a surrender of sorts to do so.

The Halloween Ball at Hogwarts, the street party at Diagon Alley and the family party at Meadow Crest were all set to occur although with appropriate security measures. All the Patrollers were on duty with most for the street party and a double staffing at Hogsmeade. Meadow Crest was probably the most secure dwelling in the United Kingdom, Buckingham Palace not withstanding.